3A fuse for bathroom fan | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 3A fuse for bathroom fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi All,

Like many practicing electricians I have been frustrated that there is not a simple solution when wiring a bathroom fan with timer and the manufacturer's instructions say that it must be fused with one 3 amp fuse. I believe I have come up with the solution, which I have patented, what I'm struggling with (because I'm a sparks, not a manufacturer) is how to get this thing made, or if it was made, whether anyone would use it. I've attached the wiring diagram, which is pretty self explanatory. Feed back and/or any ways into manufacturing would be appreciated!

[ElectriciansForums.net] 3A fuse for bathroom fan

It's a decent idea, but I just don't think people will want that on their wall. I see how it benefits the electrician, but at the detriment to the end user.
I don't see it as detrimental to the user, it gives them greater control. We're underestimating the intelligence of the user if we're saying that they don't understand when and how they should use a bathroom fan. And for the small minority that don't understand, they are as likely as not to have permanently switched the fan off, rather than leaving it permanently on, when they discover the deliberately placed 'out of reach' fan switch.

That's why my preferred method is to connect the main light through the isolator, as well as the fan.
Which presumably means any future works on the fan are done in the dark.....

This thread is comedy gold, sorry. Strikes me that if it's really such a big deal, then given that in a new build it's all LED lighting anyway, just stick a 3A CPD at the start of the whole lighting circuit, job done.

This thread is comedy gold, sorry. Strikes me that if it's really such a big deal, then given that in a new build it's all LED lighting anyway, just stick a 3A CPD at the start of the whole lighting circuit, job done.
I'm trying to offer a solution, most of us want to comply with the regulations. New builds are a small proportion of the installations out there, and even in new builds I haven't seen the whole circuit protected protected with a 3 amp fuse as you suggest. If it is such an obvious (to you) easy fix, why isn't it done? And if it's no 'big deal' to you, thank you for your contribution.

I'm trying to offer a solution, most of us want to comply with the regulations. New builds are a small proportion of the installations out there, and even in new builds I haven't seen the whole circuit protected protected with a 3 amp fuse as you suggest. If it is such an obvious (to you) easy fix, why isn't it done? And if it's no 'big deal' to you, thank you for your contribution.

I hate to be negative when someone is trying to be creative, but I see no market for this. I use grid switches all the time to make up what i want and it's all already out there at a cheap price, but still more often than not the customer doesn't want to see the fuse at the switch, they would rather have it out of sight.

I hate to be negative when someone is trying to be creative, but I see no market for this. I use grid switches all the time to make up what i want and it's all already out there at a cheap price, but still more often than not the customer doesn't want to see the fuse at the switch, they would rather have it out of sight.
Fair point.

I wrote main light. Very few bathrooms have just one light these days, and since I invested in a top quality head torch a few years ago, nowhere I work now is "in the dark".

I still don't think the main light should be fed from the fan isolator.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know if this 3A fuse requierment is also seen on fans sold in the EU where small fuses are pretty much unheard of for mains supply use?
Would it be a comepletely insane idea to request fan manufacturers to market a fan not requiring a 3 amp fuse?. Which to my knowledge works pretty well in most countries.
Secondly would it be sensible to treat a fan with a permanent live in the same manner as we treat a ceiling rose with a permanent live? Or should we start installing 3 pole isolators for them too?

Would it be a comepletely insane idea to request fan manufacturers to market a fan not requiring a 3 amp fuse?. Which to my knowledge works pretty well in most countries.
Secondly would it be sensible to treat a fan with a permanent live in the same manner as we treat a ceiling rose with a permanent live? Or should we start installing 3 pole isolators for them too?

It could happen if manufacturers start fitting motors to ceiling roses.

Which is precisely the situation you would have replacing a ceiling rose in the bedroom next door to the bathroom. Need a head torch?
Unusual for a bedroom not to have a window though.

Don’t the applicable building regs stipulate the fan must be able to be isolated separately from the sole source of light if the bathroom doesn’t have a window?

I couldn't see how fans could be compared to ceiling roses. The former has its permanent live connected for overrun of a motor, whereas permanent live at a ceiling rose is simply a junction.
Correct. But my point related not to the purpose of the permanent live (be it ceiling rose or fan) but to the fact that an electrician deals effortlessly with the replacement of a ceiling rose without the need for a local isolator so why can we not do similarly with a fan?

Reply to 3A fuse for bathroom fan in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net