Currently reading:
4000TL Problems

Discuss 4000TL Problems in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

We use SB400TL inverters all the time...

I think you've got the meter the wrong way around, easily done, the L&G meters come with 0.7kWh on from the factory

Having had a problem with an inverter I had a chat with SMA technical who explained... the inverters are made for a wholsaler and to a spec, if a UK wholsaler bought them direct then they would be set to G83 but often they are parallel improrted by european wholsalers and so have been configured to different settings. The correct procedure is to fire up the inverter and see what it's set to and if it's not G83 then switch off, set the dials and then power up again and it will re-configure. If can only re-configure with a good DC supply and it can confuse itself part way through, especially if you do it just as the sun is setting and the system shutting down then you need a grid guard code to reset it. We always set the dials prior to powering up and have had no problems.

We install SB4000TL and register them with SSE all the time, never had a problem. The inverter used is a matter for the DNO not the energy company so I wouldn't worry about SSE.

You can't change the grid voltage or frequency tollerance without prior authorisation from the DNO, it's a bad thing to do, I doubt they will let you.

Lets say a transformer is on a pole and as is often the case is tapped at the lowest setting but still producing 250volts. With volt drops this comes out at 245volts at the appliance, this is what the DNO want because in times of high demand you will still have plenty of volts.
Now lets take the inverter trying to push back into the grid, this is done by raising the voltage output from the inverter higher than the supply the inverter is now operating in the 250-253 range of G83 and at 253 the inverter will cut out due to over-voltage.
The transformers were designed to be one way devices and the taping range is always high and leaves little room for microgeneration. THe DNO can supply at 253volts if the want at which point inverters will not work. Our DNO (Western Power) will do their best to sort it out but they don't have to. It happened to one of our customers and the DNO installed a new transformer as it was near the end of it's projected life but it was a close call.

Oh and the SB4000TL-20 is a 20amp inverter and therefore technically falls outside of G83 hence SMA getting it G59 accredited but it can be capped at 16amps by the installer using a grid guard code if neccessary but most likely the DNO will accept that it has a G59 certificate and therefore even though it's over 16amps it is still safe to connect. We install under G83 and never have a problem.

Hope that helps?

If the inverter cuts out at 253V it is set up incorrectly. That is the limit for Cyprus, Denmark, Ireland, Spain, Netherlands and perhaps some others. The UK G83 upper limit is 264V. An inverter should work perfectly well with the DNO giving you 253V provided you have designed the PV ac side of the installation with the advised 1% voltage drop.

The 4000TL has both G83 and G59 certification. The G83 tests do not include a maximum power/current output.

Last edited:
If set to G83 is the 4000 capped at 16A automaticly? if not do you always cap it at 16A?

Oh and the SB4000TL-20 is a 20amp inverter and therefore technically falls outside of G83 hence SMA getting it G59 accredited but it can be capped at 16amps by the installer using a grid guard code if neccessary but most likely the DNO will accept that it has a G59 certificate and therefore even though it's over 16amps it is still safe to connect. We install under G83 and never have a problem.

Under G83 - what do you put on the form for inverter output? 20A or 16A?

Hi,
I installed a system two days ago with 16 245w suntechs and a SMA 4000tl. My customer rang me earlier to tell me it had only produced 0.6Kwh.

From what I can gather the inverter keeps switch off (green light flashing). I fully checked the system before leaving and it was operating fine.

I moved the rotary switched to 5 and 8 before I turned the inverter on.

I've also been told that changing the grid monitoring voltage to 261v using sunny explorer can help.

Any help would be greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Don't know if you've got it sorted yet but as others have said, its always worth checking the meter is wired the right way round. You said the green light is flashing, that generally indicates that normal operating conditions have not been reached i.e lack of DC supply so its worth checking the DC supply voltage and that the solar switch is seated correctly. Was it the client who reported the flashing green light, if so is it possible they were checking it in the evening rather than during the day? If the inverter had been cutting out due to grid disturbance I would expect the red light to be on rather than the green. As you have set the switches to 5 & 8 then the inverter should be set to G83 (you can check the inverter grid settings as they are shown on the inverter display when booting up) according to the G83 certificate for the 4000TL the upper voltage limit is 264v so I doubt if you will need to change that, if the grid voltage is exceeding 264v then you need to contact the DNO to discuss getting it lowered. If implementing G59 then the DNO might allow changes to the stage 1 voltage limits but under G83 you really shouldn't be having any problems.

If the inverter cuts out at 253V it is set up incorrectly. That is the limit for Cyprus, Denmark, Ireland, Spain, Netherlands and perhaps some others. The UK G83 upper limit is 264V. An inverter should work perfectly well with the DNO giving you 253V provided you have designed the PV ac side of the installation with the advised 1% voltage drop.

The 4000TL has both G83 and G59 certification. The G83 tests do not include a maximum power/current output.

Constantly learning, thank you

My 4000TL cuts out at 252V because it is set for G59 because this is what my DNO requires. My current often exceeds 17A let alone 16A, so if i can change the inverter to G83, will it cut out if the current exceeds 16A, the limit for G83?

No, changing to G83 changes the protection settings for example: over-voltage, under-voltage, over-frequency and under-frequency, but does not directly limit the current. There is a separate setting on the 4000TL which can limit the ouput power, which therefore indirectly limits the output current.

In my experience and from what has been reported on here, most DNOs allow a 4000TL to be connected with G83 settings, but using the G59 over-frequency setting of 51.5Hz. Are you sure they require all the settings to be at the G59 level?

Regards
Bruce

In my experience and from what has been reported on here, most DNOs allow a 4000TL to be connected with G83 settings, but using the G59 over-frequency setting of 51.5Hz. Are you sure they require all the settings to be at the G59 level?

Regards
Bruce

I do not know if they require all the settings to be at the G59 level. All i know from SMA is your "inverter had been sent with G59/2 Settings". My installer no longer returns my calls and emails and i have not received any DNO documentation, so i do not even what what has been registered!!

That sounds a nightmare, but is really another discussion. I hope you at least have a MCS certificate and invoice so you can claim FITs.

You need a friendly installer to change the settings. If it has been operation more than 10 hours (believe) it will need a code form SMA to change and unless you are in the business they will probably not give you one.

Regards
Bruce

Bruce
Yes it is bit of a nightmare and i have just found out that my DNO has not received an application. I do have an MCS certificate and am registered Ok with EON, but it irritates me losing out on FIT because of the settings.

I cant see that the 4000TL is worth all the hassle ie setting it!earthing array!! go for GOOD OLD SUNNYBOY 3800 :) yes its heavy! yes its old technology!yes it may not be (but not far behind) the performance of the TL but u get NO HASSLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SIMPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I cant see that the 4000TL is worth all the hassle ie setting it!earthing array!! go for GOOD OLD SUNNYBOY 3800 :) yes its heavy! yes its old technology!yes it may not be (but not far behind) the performance of the TL but u get NO HASSLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SIMPLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My issue is with the installer not the inverter, and since reporting them to REAL they have contacted me, and are changing the settings to G83. My panels and rails are not earthed, should they be?

Reply to 4000TL Problems in the Solar PV Forum | Solar Panels Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock