70mm SWA | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 70mm SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just connected a 70mm 3 core SWA sub main. I'm in the sticks, no Industrial work here at all so out of the ordinary for us (few farm buildings etc) & our usual swa size is 16 or 25mm. Sheltered life I know!

Anyway just want to tip my hat to you guys who work with this size of cable on a regular basis - what a beast to work with. Nice bit of job satisfaction when we finally got the glands on though.

Again, industrial guys I salute you!, hopefully never see this again for a few years.

cheers

I did say we've a sheltered life up here. When you step up to that kind of size - and I do appreciate there are larger - and, like everything, if its sometghing your not used to then everything seems like a challenge. Bending radii, crimping connections, & as for the gland, (no slagging please) took 2 of us 20 minutes! & lots of swearing.

I did say we've a sheltered life up here. When you step up to that kind of size - and I do appreciate there are larger - and, like everything, if its sometghing your not used to then everything seems like a challenge. Bending radii, crimping connections, & as for the gland, (no slagging please) took 2 of us 20 minutes! & lots of swearing.

Sounds about right for a first go :D

70mm² SWA....you lucky lucky man....to me that is almost a boot lace these days, normally work with 120mm² upwards (except internally usually). Last load installed were 640mm² singles!!

Yeah, I use these for domestic lighting circuits to account for loft insulation etc. :tongue:

Seriously, never used anything above the usual boring domestic sizes.

As an aside, when we measured initially using the planned route of the trench by the builder it came to 90 metres. We quoted on that basis, went to run it in to find route had changed somewhat (shorter) & we have 12 metres over. All paid for by already so theres a nice addition to the next scrap sale.

Reply to 70mm SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net