70mm SWA | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 70mm SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just connected a 70mm 3 core SWA sub main. I'm in the sticks, no Industrial work here at all so out of the ordinary for us (few farm buildings etc) & our usual swa size is 16 or 25mm. Sheltered life I know!

Anyway just want to tip my hat to you guys who work with this size of cable on a regular basis - what a beast to work with. Nice bit of job satisfaction when we finally got the glands on though.

Again, industrial guys I salute you!, hopefully never see this again for a few years.

cheers

We used all of the 0°, +30°, -15° & +15° to reduce harmonics. On a smaller press we just used 0° & +30°

Ringing and glanding is the easy bit! It's getting the beast into whatever your connecting it too! Lol!

Anything from 120mm 4 core SWA cable, and sometimes smaller, where access is on the restricted side, we use galvanised steel ''Top hat'' bolted tube glands, which makes glanding off big SWA cables a much, much simpler task. Basically designed for 3 core MV SWA cables they do the job just as well for the larger LV 3 / 4 core SWA cables up to 630mm LV . The finished job, also looks a far more professional finish too with the overall adhesive lined heat shrink!! Our contractors generally have the means and facilities to manufacture these Top Hats glands themselves.

Here is a link to the sort of thing i'm talking about .....
CABLE GLANDS, TOP HAT GLANDS, 11KV SWA CABLE GLANDS, HV GLANDS, CAST INTEGRAL EARTH GLANDS, 6.6KV 33

Anything from 120mm 4 core SWA cable, and sometimes smaller, where access is on the restricted side, we use galvanised steel ''Top hat'' bolted tube glands, which makes glanding off big SWA cables a much, much simpler task. Basically designed for 3 core MV SWA cables they do the job just as well for the larger LV 3 / 4 core SWA cables up to 630mm LV . The finished job, also looks a far more professional finish too with the overall adhesive lined heat shrink!! Our contractors generally have the means and facilities to manufacture these Top Hats glands themselves.

Here is a link to the sort of thing i'm talking about .....
CABLE GLANDS, TOP HAT GLANDS, 11KV SWA CABLE GLANDS, HV GLANDS, CAST INTEGRAL EARTH GLANDS, 6.6KV 33

I like the option of the insulating plates for them .

This is the pdf link i was referring to on that page is....

http://www.cablejoints.co.uk/upload..._Top_Hat_Cable_Glands_SWA___SPS180_SPS193.pdf

Just ignore the screening earth braid..

Using this type of cable gland will make terminating and glanding off large sized SWA cables, a complete doddle of a job compared to trying to get the SWA fixed into standard SWA cable glands. The actual glanding can be done with the cable laying flat, then the completed job offered up to the pre-drilled bolted fixing holes made to the panel/switchboard and securely fixed in place...

Not sure if the insulating plates match up with the Top Hat glands, but it wouldn't be too much of a problem if they don't to make your own...

Some things never change

[ElectriciansForums.net] 70mm SWA

This is the pdf link i was referring to on that page is....

http://www.cablejoints.co.uk/upload..._Top_Hat_Cable_Glands_SWA___SPS180_SPS193.pdf

Just ignore the screening earth braid..

Using this type of cable gland will make terminating and glanding off large sized SWA cables, a complete doddle of a job compared to trying to get the SWA fixed into standard SWA cable glands. The actual glanding can be done with the cable laying flat, then the completed job offered up to the pre-drilled bolted fixing holes made to the panel/switchboard and securely fixed in place...

Not sure if the insulating plates match up with the Top Hat glands, but it wouldn't be too much of a problem if they don't to make your own...

We start a 1 Mw solar install on Monday and have more than one 240mm 4c cable run leading back to the relay panel / TX room , I will be using these now and will let you know how we get on !?

I remember one 240mm 4c connection that was needed for a new grain drier we did that ran out of an old MOD listening station it took 4 of us over 8 hours to make it off in the end ( two in the pit , one inside the panel board and one in front of it pulling for all they were worth !) it did not help having a faulty top hat nut on the first attempt which meant the whole lot had to come out and go back in again !

What are your thoughts on the IP rating of these ? I would say by using the glue lined heat shrink it makes them better than a cw gland , but i suppose they have not been tested and certified as such .

Last edited:
We start a 1 Mw solar install on Monday and have more than one 240mm 4c cable run leading back to the relay panel / TX room , I will be using these now and will let you know how we get on !?

I remember one 240mm 4c connection that was needed for a new grain drier we did that ran out of an old MOD listening station it took 4 of us over 8 hours to make it off in the end ( two in the pit , one inside the panel board and one in front of it pulling for all they were worth !) it did not help having a faulty top hat nut on the first attempt which meant the whole lot had to come out and go back in again !

What are your thoughts on the IP rating of these ? I would say by using the glue lined heat shrink it makes them better than a cw gland , but i suppose they have not been tested and certified as such .

I'm about do replace some glands on some cables that feed borehole pumps. The water company want the whole installation to be waterproofed. I don't know what glands they specified, but I don't think any gland will properly seal 100%, especially as in this instance, the cables don't enter the gland straight. They all pull to one side, and there's no way of securing them, as only the gland of the cable is above floor level, before the cable runs into the duct.
i suggested using glue lined heat shrink boots similar to those used on 11-33kv glands.
the water company use glue lined heat shrink for cable joints in submersible pumps, but I think our firm want something that they can say meets a BS for being waterproof. IP68 I reckon.

I'm about do replace some glands on some cables that feed borehole pumps. The water company want the whole installation to be waterproofed. I don't know what glands they specified, but I don't think any gland will properly seal 100%, especially as in this instance, the cables don't enter the gland straight. They all pull to one side, and there's no way of securing them, as only the gland of the cable is above floor level, before the cable runs into the duct.
i suggested using glue lined heat shrink boots similar to those used on 11-33kv glands.
the water company use glue lined heat shrink for cable joints in submersible pumps, but I think our firm want something that they can say meets a BS for being waterproof. IP68 I reckon.

I will not be up against such an aggressive atmosphere as what you install in Johnboy , as it is only out in the field where the subs go in to IP rated enclosures from the underneath which have the DB's in , and these are to be mounted under the array as well , so will be reasonably out of the way anyway . but as we have shelled out for the appropriate enclosure's i would like to think we have kept the IP rating the best we can .

Done a fair bit of industrial in a relatively short space of time. Found that your route into where it's been terminated is what makes the difference, get the cable perpendicular to the plate, then all the armour cables will cut and seat in ease! Terminated over 20 BW42's on one job, so quick by then end it weren't the amps making them hot ;)

If you use the heat shrink boots suggested by E54 with an external heat shrink sleeve it’s going to be as waterproof as you’ll ever get. The only weak point is where the gland meets the enclosure, if it’s misaligned you can distort the enclosure base plate. This is a point I would disagree with E54. a hefty cable glanded laid flat and then offered up will stress the cable and gland plate.

I first used HS boots on PILC cables as an apprentice, not adhesive lined, they used a hot melt tape. They were supplied with CMP lead lined glands. Brilliant things to work with, heat them up and the lining melted on to the lead sheath. I’d say probably better than a traditional plumbed termination.

RoB2 asked about them recently, no longer available!

Reply to 70mm SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net