70mm SWA | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss 70mm SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Just connected a 70mm 3 core SWA sub main. I'm in the sticks, no Industrial work here at all so out of the ordinary for us (few farm buildings etc) & our usual swa size is 16 or 25mm. Sheltered life I know!

Anyway just want to tip my hat to you guys who work with this size of cable on a regular basis - what a beast to work with. Nice bit of job satisfaction when we finally got the glands on though.

Again, industrial guys I salute you!, hopefully never see this again for a few years.

cheers

240mm 4c swa is the biggest I've glanded , but as others have stated I find it easier to ring and gland than the smaller stuff .

240mm 4c swa is the biggest I've glanded , but as others have stated I find it easier to ring and gland than the smaller stuff .

240 4c is the biggest i have done so far as well , but to say it was easier than 1.5 /2.5 stuff is a bit wishful if you ask me ?
It did not seem that way to me !
Having said that , if the small stuff is from CEF i could see what you mean !:devil:

Normally domestic sizes followed by arguments about using the armour for earth. Have farted around with 70mm but today have been ripping out the potato measurement equivalent of 4 core 70mm lead sheathed, old school SWA. God damn it that stuff is heavy, would of loved to see back in the day sparks pulling a few hundred meters of it down a narrow cable tunnel!

Also 90mm ish singles, which had all stuck together where they've got hot and the (bitumen?) had melted

Biggest I have done is 2x 400mm 4 core in parallel. Was good fun. Last July I done 2x 300mm 4 cores in parallel and on the same job 2x 150mm 4 cores in separate runs. Last week it was a 70mm 4 core. I love doing the bigger SWA cable and glands.

Pulled in - 300mm2 4 core armoured

Terminated - 240mm2 4 core

Ripped out - 1000mm2 copper singles :)

Hardest pull was 16 ton of 240mm2 single core awa through service ducts up 7 floors onto roof, 3 on top floor, 1 on ground floor, 1 on every other floor.

240 4c is the biggest i have done so far as well , but to say it was easier than 1.5 /2.5 stuff is a bit wishful if you ask me ?
It did not seem that way to me !
Having said that , if the small stuff is from CEF i could see what you mean !:devil:

Ringing and glanding is the easy bit! It's getting the beast into whatever your connecting it too! Lol!

Reply to 70mm SWA in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net