A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign | Page 31 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

I have posted this on facebook and will be keeping my eye open. next time i make up some business cards i will try and add the website to it.

really pleased to see this.This has been one of my soap box issues for years. Wasn't aware of the web site, very good, will use it. List of places I have been pointing out the short comings to include, local council offices, churches, schools etc. Interestingly some places have said that Ofsted require them and so they cant be removed, some what contradictory to the web site.

Interestingly some places have said that Ofsted require them and so they cant be removed, some what contradictory to the web site.
The socket cover myth has deep roots, and they have been cultivated by individual Ofsted inspectors - but not by Ofsted themselves. Ofsted have made it clear that their inspectors MUST NOT require the use of socket covers. Don't take it from me, but refer to this Ofsted document (page 11). Thanks for standing on your soap box, and thanks to all who are working to educate the public. I think that we all know that electricians know rather more about this than Ofsted inspectors!

Removing these from sons room as soon as he wakes for nursery. And I always thought they were a good idea except the need to use a spare ones pins to remove one since there so tight in the socket.
know better now

Removing these from sons room as soon as he wakes for nursery. And I always thought they were a good idea except the need to use a spare ones pins to remove one since there so tight in the socket.
know better now

Isn't it a good feeling knowing that "you now know" that the commercial drivel that impacts on personal safety,especially when its children involved,it is exposed and the truth emerges

Electricians seem to be the last opinion when it comes to electrical safety

:hurray: Thank you :hurray:

Unfortunately the E-Petition has run its course and didn’t raise enough signatures.

That said, I ask you all to keep on trying to get rid of socket covers.

Schools, play centres, health centres are all prime targets for us to go for. Please remember, OFSTED have no official stance on the use of socket covers. An inspector can not insist on there use.
It is down to the individual manager / head teacher to make the decision. That decision has to be based on a hazard study. That study should assess the equipment used and its BS status, no socket cover caries a BS number.

My son has just celebrated his 28[SUP]th[/SUP] birthday, it was just before he was born I started my personal fight against the covers. I’ll never give up.

I am all for getting these removed from households. Quite a few people I have shown this website to have been shocked. I am even more convinced having come across this, what can be seen in the picture is the broken earth pin from one of these plugs.
[ElectriciansForums.net] A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign

..... what can be seen in the picture is the broken earth pin from one of these plugs.

A bit like a Spanish socket then! No need for an "earth" as the plug only has two pins and the L/N are not "shuttered" --- you also never know which is the 'L' and which is the 'N' as polarity isnt a concern at the socket either!

Tried to reply with a quote from Tony above, but for some reason the browser will not let me. (probably realizes I'm a nugget, and its safer to not let me reply.)It was about the inspectors can not insist on their use, as not sure if it has been mentioned before but will bring it up. I remember being on a H&S in the workplace inspectors course a number of years back and this subject came up after PAT testing had been put to bed. If i remember correctly, the instructor was telling us that if we were looking at a nursery etc, then plug covers were to be used. I think we were told to strongly recommend them, then note in the report if they were not used. I have never had to carry out said inspection on a nursery, so am totally in the clear :) but I am positive that is what we were taught at the time. But then we were being told to pick up everything, no matter how small.Does anyone else have the same exp? As at some point this may have been enforced by inspectors and thats why nurseries often are stuffed full of them.

Seconds out!

Round two!

Had to go to the doctors, sat talking to the doctor and noticed the bloody things are back again. I’ve got them to get rid of them once!

Got to go in again tomorrow for my regular blood tests. My blood pressure was normal on Tuesday. It’s likely to go sky high tomorrow, I’m after the practice manager’s blood!
(Fair exchange, they want my blood, I’m going for the jugular).

Please have a look at this. “Toolbox talks”.

Everyone please help where you can.

Tried to reply with a quote from Tony above, but for some reason the browser will not let me. (probably realizes I'm a nugget, and its safer to not let me reply.)It was about the inspectors can not insist on their use, as not sure if it has been mentioned before but will bring it up. I remember being on a H&S in the workplace inspectors course a number of years back and this subject came up after PAT testing had been put to bed. If i remember correctly, the instructor was telling us that if we were looking at a nursery etc, then plug covers were to be used. I think we were told to strongly recommend them, then note in the report if they were not used. I have never had to carry out said inspection on a nursery, so am totally in the clear :) but I am positive that is what we were taught at the time. But then we were being told to pick up everything, no matter how small.Does anyone else have the same exp? As at some point this may have been enforced by inspectors and thats why nurseries often are stuffed full of them.

I think you had an ill informed instructor

One of the more worrying aspects is if you look at the pin dimensions of the covers.

Many are oversized to keep them secure and difficult to remove.
Secure maybe, but they can over stress the sockets female contacts to the extent they don’t make sufficient contact with a genuine BS1363 plug to carry the rated current.
This could cause heating leading to total failure of both the plug and socket. The worse case scenario would be a fire.

So are you going to criticize an installation for not having something that could make it unsafe?

Get the feeling something is fundamentally wrong?

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to A reminder to everyone - FatallyFlawed - Child Plug Socket Covers Campaign in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back