Adding a 2 way unit to a garage | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Adding a 2 way unit to a garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Evening everyone

I have been asked to price to add some more sockets and lights to a garage plus a few out side sockets.
now the garage already had a supply from the house via SWA cabling which just feeds a socket and the lights via a fused switched spur.
now the consumer unit in the house is an old "Ashley & Rock" with Supasafe MCB's. with blue writing if that helps the whole lot is protected with one main RCD.

Now for my question.
I know that I can fit just a 2 way unit but I was thinking that with more sockets and some of them outside it would be better to fit an RCD in the garage.
but I need this to trip before the house RCD trips so any suggestions would be great.

Thanks for all suggestions

Wrong. The op mentions a RCD but what value is it? You can't go slamming in a 30mA RCD in the garage and a earth spike without considering the impact.

The OP needs to more clearly define what the situation is then maybe and only then, can we give constructive comments!

Two good points, i was assumming like others i think, that an up front RCD would more likely be a 100mA than a 30mA device!! These type's of CU's were installed to the latter end of the 15th edition as i remember!!

Does the SWA start at the CU tho'? Many garage submains I have dealt with start as T&E from the CU and change to SWA at some point, normally in an adaptable box on the outside wall, espcecially for a detached garage. Just a thought!

Anyone seen the OP?

For the second time I'm here :)
Just typed a whole load of stuff on for it not to get posted.
Anyway thanks for all the replies
the RCD is a Ashley & Rock supasafe 63A 30ma

I believe that the SWA starts at the consumer unit but to be honest I have not checked but I will go back at the weekend to check.

AS was mentioned by someone earlier I was only thinking of adding an RCD in the garage so that if something goes wrong in the garage the whole house does not trip out.

In my inexperience I did not realise that there would be so many answers and ways of going about this.
Yet still no clear answer.

For the second time I'm here :)
Just typed a whole load of stuff on for it not to get posted.
Anyway thanks for all the replies
the RCD is a Ashley & Rock supasafe 63A 30ma

I believe that the SWA starts at the consumer unit but to be honest I have not checked but I will go back at the weekend to check.

AS was mentioned by someone earlier I was only thinking of adding an RCD in the garage so that if something goes wrong in the garage the whole house does not trip out.

In my inexperience I did not realise that there would be so many answers and ways of going about this.
Yet still no clear answer.

Do not have 2 x 30mA RCD's on the same circuit.

Just annoys me that people are paying money for someone to do a job for them thinking that they know what they're doing and then they're on a forum asking how to do it

Well I have to say that did not take long :)
The idea of me asking questions is not to get the job because as we all know rightly or wrongly most customers don't even ask for paperwork.
I'm just trying to do a job right and if that means I take longer and earn less then that's the price I'm will to pay. Because if I do the job right with a bit of luck I'll get a recommendation which is what it's all about.
More to say but dinner is cooked so Ill wait for any replies helpful or not.

Well I have to say that did not take long :)
The idea of me asking questions is not to get the job because as we all know rightly or wrongly most customers don't even ask for paperwork.
I'm just trying to do a job right and if that means I take longer and earn less then that's the price I'm will to pay. Because if I do the job right with a bit of luck I'll get a recommendation which is what it's all about.
More to say but dinner is cooked so Ill wait for any replies helpful or not.

I find it scarey that you did not know that 2 x 30 mA RCD 's on the same circuit was a bad idea.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that I did not know?

Yes I did know that part of the problem.

What I don't know and there has not been an answer that people who have probably forgotten more than I know all agree on. Is what is the best way to protect the circuits in the garage while stopping the house RCD tripping.

Reply to Adding a 2 way unit to a garage in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net