Advice about testing another's work | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Advice about testing another's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gazthesparky

-
Arms
Reaction score
Need a bit of advice /opinions

I completed a full rewire a couple of months ago prior to starting the customer said kitchen company was sorting kitchen ring and my contract/quotation stated I was not responsible for this while first fixing kitchen company fitted kitchen and left kitchen ring unconnected as I hadn't fitted new consumer unit. At the time I stated to them they needed to come back and commission

I second fixed left the ring unconnected and put on my EIC that the kitchen ring was installed by another and not responsible

I've now had a call from customer saying kitchen company aren't going to come back and commission and could I they will pay me extra for doing so.

So should I go back and fill out a ECR and connect the circuit ? Or point blank refuse to connect it ? As its not my work and I know the cables have been thrown about under the floor and not clipped

Where do I stand I don't want to be responsible for there work as I didn't install it

If you want to keep your customer happy do the tests, get customer to send to kitchen installer to see if they are happy with results, kitchen installer would then be in a position to issue certificate and could give you written instructions to make kitchen circuit live.
make sure that on your own certificate you put that kitchen wiring carried out by xyz kitchen installer [ie name installer] do not put carried out by third party.
is s##t should hit fan in future you have your get out of jail card.
Hope this helps
Patrick.

I'm not registered with any scheme so 3rd party notification is a no go would be good if there was a cross over cert that would do the job
Had a similar problem with a CU change and partial Rewire, and customer re-fitting a kitchen. Did the cu and first fixed cooker & island radial. Also first fixed kitchen radial, but tested and energised it and 2nd fixed one socket, so client could have temporary power. Client said he would call me back when kitchen was being fitted, so I could finish off. A while went by , so I called client, who said kitchen fitters had finished off the work! Bit annoyed, so I went back and checked my CU, before I issued EIC for my work and told client to get cert from kitchen fitters for circuits of mine they energised. You could do as Burns' said, after all you connect up others circuits, when doing CU replacements. Incidentally how did you carry out the notification process, if you not in a scheme? Just curious.

Incidentally how did you carry out the notification process, if you not in a scheme? Just curious.

Depends on the Local Authority. It is supposed to work like this:
You raise a Building Notice with the LABC, and pay their fee (a couple of hundred quid). They will want to see the wiring at various stages (too late if its plastered over), they will want to see a BS7671 Installation Certificate that includes allof the proper test results* and be convinced of your competence to do the work (might need to see your C&G certs, e.g.)
The LABC then issue a Building Regs Compliance Certificate and close the Building Notice as completed.

*They used to do the testing as part of the Building Notice, but the dreaded cuts now mean this is done by you at your expense.

Last edited:
You raise a Building Notice with the LABC, and pay their fee (a couple of hundred quid). They will want to see the wiring at various stages (too late if its plastered over), they will want to see a BS7671 Installation Certificate that includes allof the proper test results* and be convinced of your competence to do the work (might need to see your C&G certs, e.g.)
The LABC then issue a Building Regs Compliance Certificate and close the Building Notice as completed.

*They used to do the testing as part of the Building Notice, but the dreaded cuts now mean this is done by you at your expense.
I think they would issue a building regulations completion certificate not a compliance certificate, that is only for those who have inspected and tested their own work (or third party).

My LABC charges are £494.40 (incl vat), or £618 for a regularisation certificate. They also still mention having the work inspected & tested. I just wonder how other sparks do domestic notifiable work, when not registered with a scheme, viably that is?

You were lied to. Part P is very much a regulation in England AND Wales. In fact the notification requirements in Wales are different (more requirements)

Oh look, here's information on a Welsh Government web site :smartass:
Welsh Government | Part P (Electrical safety)
or did you want it in a foreign language?
Llywodraeth Cymru | Rhan P (Electrical safety)

I used the WRONG WORDING,

No Part P ref to the 3rd Party, because these Post was about Signing off someone else work
NOT Ref but they dont see it was working as the 3rd party person can not see the wiring being installed

1.28 of Approved Document P for use in Wales explains that a third party cannot sign off an installation as they have not supervised the work. The work can only be signed off by the person responsible for undertaking the work (or local authority/Approved Inspector route of inspection).

Last edited by a moderator:
Have the Kitchen Co. issued an EIC for their work?
If not, then they have not complied with the requirements of BS7671.
Does the Customer's contract with the Kitchen Co. specify that they will comply with the requirements of BS7671?

Reply to Advice about testing another's work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net