Currently reading:
All devices on 3phase board tripped simultaneously

Discuss All devices on 3phase board tripped simultaneously in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
A customer recently lost power to part of their electrical installation. On arrival I found all IEC 60947-3 devices had supposedly tripped - including the main switch rated at In 400A. Excluding the possibility of someone tapering with the board, can anyone think of any other reason why this may have occurred?

Sorry for the typo, yes 60947-2. There were 6 three phase/3pole devices, 5 single pole devices and the main 3 pole switch. All of which I found in the off position. No sign of overheating/overload or smell, and I was onsite within 10 minutes of power loss.

With you saying part of the installation, is it a sub board?

Whatever, very a strange for all breakers to have tripped and the main switch to be in the off position.
Sounds like a manual job, to me.

With you saying part of the installation, is it a sub board?

Whatever, very a strange for all breakers to have tripped and the main switch to be in the off position.
Sounds like a manual job, to me.
It's actually the main board for one of the two three phase supply's coming into the building. I agree that it sounds like someone has tampered with it; however, my customer is adamant this could not have happened.

nothing else tripped on any of the other distribution boards down stream of this board.
Leaving the main switch aside, unless something simultaneously affected every single distribution circuit between this board in question and the downstream boards, it surely has to be manual operation.

What sort of cables are feeding the downstream boards, are they mechanically protected?
I have once found several circuits all chafed on poorly installed metal trunking which then got hit causing it to cut into all of them.
I think I'd IR a couple of the distribution circuits, rule out cable damage, and declare that the only logical reason is manual operation.

Am I right in thinking that 60947-2 could incorporate over current protection?

It seems the OP isn't paying heed to your question.
Yes you are correct. 60647-3 is an isolator whereas 60947-2 is an mccb often used as main switches on panel boards.

It seems the OP isn't paying heed to your question.
Sure looks that way,

BS60947 2.PNG

I wonder if the O.P remade the 400a Mainswitch and survived and or all the other tripped devices?

Some
Leaving the main switch aside, unless something simultaneously affected every single distribution circuit between this board in question and the downstream boards, it surely has to be manual operation.

What sort of cables are feeding the downstream boards, are they mechanically protected?
I have once found several circuits all chafed on poorly installed metal trunking which then got hit causing it to cut into all of them.
I think I'd IR a couple of the distribution circuits, rule out cable damage, and declare that the only logical reason is manual operatiomajority of the of the cables are SWA properly glanded into the top of the board.

I think I'd IR a couple of the distribution circuits, rule out cable damage, and declare that the only logical reason is manual operation.
The majority of cables are SWA properly glanded into the top of the board and going off in different directions to different parts of the building.
97C78D2A-2CBE-4E47-8D6A-028407631374.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to All devices on 3phase board tripped simultaneously in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock