Am I mad | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Am I mad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Prior to the rewire and fitting a new DB, I asked the apprentices. Does anything or things grab your attention and awareness with this old Wylex Fuse Box.??? (it was isolated).

We had Colours, Sleeving, double insulated etc etc.

I must be going mad.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Am I mad

Did they not spot the outgoing circuit from the main isolator?
And it is certainly unusual to have brown sleeved in blue but there might be a good reason.

Really dangerous putting the live on the supply side of the isolator and the neutral on the load side, the sort of thing that could kill someone.
A.K.A. a widowmaker.

Found one a few years back - fuseholder on a switch spur burnt out, so clever clogs stuffed all the reds into one hole, leaving the neutral switched. Result - spur appears to remove power while 230v still present! What was it they say about a little knowledge?

Oh and BTW, ADT inform me running a 2.5 off the incoming terminals for the alarm is perfectly good practice, ok?

Saw the same on a fan switch, they had bridged out the permanent live for some reason but the sw live and neutral still went through the switch. Also according to my old boss who is probably about 80 by now he managed to kill someone whilst he was an apprentice, he was told to pull a fuse and then the one above it, this was back in the day when the neutral was fused as well, so he pulled the neutral fuse, light went out and then pulled the live fuse above it, except it wasn't the correct fuse for whatever reason.

As for the sleeved neutral, this takes me back to the twin red cable we used to use, more than once someone managed to wire the lighting loop entirely in twin red, I would never use it as it was so easy to do, I seem to remember there was a very faint white line on one of the cores of the red as an identifier. The same thing probably happened with the above photo.

As for the sleeved neutral, this takes me back to the twin red cable we used to use, more than once someone managed to wire the lighting loop entirely in twin red, I would never use it as it was so easy to do,
I remember going to a second fix job as an apprentice with an electrician, we turned up at the job that had been first fixed by others on the firm to find all the lighting wired in twin red and earth!
There were some choice words uttered that day, and much relentless ribbing for months after for the two lads who first fixed it!

When I have used twin red or twin brown on jobs in the past the outer sheath of the cable was generally a slightly different colour to the standard T&E

I remember going to a second fix job as an apprentice with an electrician, we turned up at the job that had been first fixed by others on the firm to find all the lighting wired in twin red and earth!
There were some choice words uttered that day, and much relentless ribbing for months after for the two lads who first fixed it!

Not uncommon over here for that mistake to still be made with twin brown. Seen a few circuits ripped out when 1.5 3C&E was lifted instead of 2.5 T&E.

Reply to Am I mad in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net