Are at home Level 2 courses actually viable? | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Are at home Level 2 courses actually viable? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have been working as a trainee electrician since March 2024, I am looking to start my Level 2 now and being 25 years old of course I want to get on with it as quickly as I can without relying on college. I have found a couple of courses in the UK which state that they send you the study resources to do in your own time and when ready you can take assessments, and will also be required to attend a training centre a few times to do practical work which sounds perfect for me.

I am asking are these types of courses actually viable? I have no problem studying myself, but these courses are obviously a lot of money so I am wondering if they are worth it or not? Can I actually achieve a legitimate Level 2 C&G this way or is it just a money making scheme?

Thank you in advance for any advice.

Reasearch carefully any training provider before signing up. There are some out there that don't deliver, and even appear to set obstacles to progressing (such as assessements that you repeatedly fail without understanding why). There are also some that sign you up with a credit provider, so they get the money and leave the credit company to chase you when eveything goes sour. You will find mention of such companies on here, including sorry tales from trainees looking for ways out.

Upvote 2
I did the homestudy level 2 and level 3. You're on premesis for 4 weeks for level 2 and 3 1/2 weeks for level 3 broken up over the time you take to work through the material. For the level 2 you are doing practical work for the majority of the time and your ability is checked throughout the build process. As well as that, you will have revision sessions followed by the unit exams.

As it's self study, it's up to the student to decide when they're ready to do the next week in person. This lead to those with more experience putting their weeks in person more or less back to back - not advised really. I went in for a week roughly every 3 months, though when the pandemic hit I had a considerably longer break and got through the home study material thoroughly before finishing.

I would say that about 80% of those on the course were in employment and just working towards their ticket - A lot of them were pretty knowledgable already, or self driven enough to do the work and read through the material.

All the exams are taken under exam conditions and they are very strict on that.

I'm unsure I can say who I did the course with as not sure if that's against the rules or something, but that's my experience on it. I was fortunate that my employer funded my Level 2. I funded my own Level 3 and everything else so I don't know what this company is like with regards to credit etc.. They have always seemed pretty above board and the trainers knew their stuff.

That's my experience though

Upvote 0

Reply to Are at home Level 2 courses actually viable? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net