Currently reading:
AT28C16 EEPROM learning experiments

Discuss AT28C16 EEPROM learning experiments in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

_q12x_

DIY
Reaction score
Thanks to mister -marconi , I received his chip AT28C16 gift from England !
I will start to make the 5x7 led matrix project that you did.
I will make it alone as much as I can (as usual). And I will ask you for clarifications on the way.

This was hardcore to me - simply because this is my first time using and understanding and working with logic gates and the other NEW IC's that accompanied them. I like them all so thats why I stay and work slowly to understand them. And I did, in a good percentage, in contrast to where I started, having some general idea about them, now Im sure about them because I actually worked with them. What a crazy project. I was desperate at some point because I started to doubt if I will actually manage to obtain anything on that matrix led. There were so many steps to make. I got scared I couldnt make it. But I did after some break. Im always working with numerous small breaks !!! Charge and discharge is my saying. Hard core I tell you. And it was harder for me because I had to do double the work, 1 in simulator and 2 in reality.

@marconi - What frequency generator did you used? For strobing your 5 columns (my 7 lines) very fast.
You used some device in your laboratory? or a circuit made from some IC or normal components?
Help me with a variable fv generator circuit, simple and efficient to build.

@marconi - What frequency generator did you used? For strobing your 5 columns (my 7 lines) very fast.
You used some device in your laboratory? or a circuit made from some IC or normal components?
Help me with a variable fv generator circuit, simple and efficient to build.
I used a 555 astable circuit running at about 1000Hz. If I wanted it to run slower I added in a larger capacitor in parallel with the one required for 1000Hz.

something like this:

Designing 555 Astables - https://learnabout-electronics.org/Oscillators/osc44.php

Last edited:
Finally, we are on the same line of thought. Ive already build a similar fv gen using also a 555. Bytheway, 555 is one of my favorite ICs. For your information.
Here is what I used and worked from first try/built. No monkey bizniz.
[ElectriciansForums.net] AT28C16 EEPROM learning experiments

Please keep these projects either in hardware or as videos because you may be able to use them to demonstrate your knowledge of and design prowess with digital circuits in a job interview.

So next you will cycle the display through a set of letters/numbers coded in the EEPROM memory. What about doing your forum name?

If you are up for it we could work on developing this 7 x 5 project into a 24 hour clock with an analogue face and hands or some combination of hands and numbers. The one second tick would be produced by those crystal oscillators we dabbled with a few months ago.

[ElectriciansForums.net] AT28C16 EEPROM learning experiments

Please keep these projects either in hardware or as videos because you may be able to use them to demonstrate your knowledge of and design prowess with digital circuits in a job interview.
Thats why I keep doing these videos exactly, for my future 'advantage' and 'leverage'.
Yes I think I will transfer everything on a board of itself. Not here on breadboards. It will be a physical evidence it happened.
Now I am making the circuit in proteus, not for simulation but the real circuit that worked in reality.
Also, about the clock... I like a digital clock to make not a mechanical -even looking- one. Do you have aspecial reason for a mechanical looking clock? of is just aesthetics? If is just aesthetics, I prefer digital looking clock. But if you have other reason, please tell me.

Thus a digital clock. You could use the 7 x 5, 7 segments or some discrete LEDs or even a combination of them. You might want to sketch out some ideas for a digital looking clock built using the display or indicator components you have in stock.

Then, before diving in to construction using proteus or in hardware I recommend you sketch out the building blocks for the clock. The three obvious ones are the blocks for power supply, one second tick and the display. But what else is needed? I am encouraging you to do some system engineering. The system - in this case a clock - is made up of interconnected block each having specific functions. The blocks are labelled with short names or descriptions of what they do.

Last edited:
I have a favour to ask of you. I make soup for lunch most days of the week. Would you send me a couple of classic Romanian soup recipes please? Or send me a link to the recipes. We have two Romanian nurses who attend my wife and I would like to give them a taste of some home cooking and I would like to add to my reportoire. The Polish nurse has just given me some of her beetroot with dumpling soup to try which is what has prompted me to ask you.

I told you is a story here.
First of all that -Borș- we use, we can buy from peasants in the food market OR directly from supermarket these days. Is a very common aliment. Now, how to use it, at least how I use it. I dont pour the entire 1L bottle into the mix, although Ive seen "idiots" doing it so, but is a waste of product this way, in my opinion. No, You pour 1/4 from 1Liter. Approximately, by taste, less or more and by eye. The taste comes after everything is done, so you must remember the splitting. In the composition, --I-- put everything is GREEN - whatever it is, but the most common are: parsley, dill, spinach(if I have access to it but rarely), cabbage-usually is the main green plant is always present in my composition, 1/2 or 1/4 depends how big it is. Salad leaf's when is the season for it. 1-2-3 radish(occasionally) , green peas. Sometimes a single small squash. Also mushrooms. Im making all into a tall inox(stainless steel) bowl of 10L with glass lid.
Now the consistent stuff: potatoes sometimes, pasta in general, whatever it is and be careful when you put it since it must boil 8min and not more, so add them at the end of the boiling time, leave for 8min and close the flame. A hand or 2 of rice if I feel I want it. I boil it separately and then add it to the finished composition.
Preparation: You can use --everything-- into 1 composition OR choose what to add and what to not add. Your choice really. Cut everything very small and put into the bowl. Add water like 7L/10L. Dont fill it up to 10L since it will spill out when boiling and also you'll have to add later some other stuff. Leave it to boil... 30min-1h at High flame, to boil faster. Its water after all with some green stuff in it. When is boiling and bubbling, leave it to bubble like 5-10min. This way the green aroma and nutrients are well mixed, thats the idea. We are very close to finish it. Now I pour the bors, 1/4 from 1L like I said. The entire composition will rise up a bit and also will stop boiling since the cold liquid in to mix. Wait to boil again, and leave it like 2min or so to boil again. This way, you get a rich very pleasant and aromatic sour taste. But dont taste it yet, remember, is boiling ! Haha. You need your tongue in the future. And lastly, this is my way to make it, as I said, I add a fist of salt OR I leave it without salt. I ---usually--- add salt into my food (in general) while Im eating, stirring and combining it on the spot.
After I close the flame, I leave it there to get cold by its own, on the same flame eye, not moving it at all. This way is boiling and getting cold slowly. I leave it for 3h like that until is safe to touch it with your hand. After is at room temperature I store it into the fridge, yes, that big bowl into a single shelf. Is not THAT big. Also you must check first if your bowl will fit into the fridge first ! very important.
What --Borș-- contains a lot in it but no one will tell you, not even that "informative" page you read, is a lot of vitamin C that is a strong regenerative for the immune system, and a natural antidepressant and many, many healty qualities. Be aware that vitamin C or any other vitamin or mineral ingested, is processed "so much", the body takes what it needs and the rest is throw away through any hole your body has available. Dont eat the whole 10L at once, but on servings, 2 or 3 per day is fine. Ideally 1 per day, but is a light food category.
You probably notice I did not add any meat to it. Usually, my mom and my grandmom and the good cooks I encounter in my life, they use 1 full chicken in it, or whatever animal you like. But they need special preparation and also the fat that comes out from the meat, must be taken into account. My bors is clean, no fat no problems.
Aroma: I do NOT add pepper, hot pepper, or any crap like that. Will just ruin the natural taste. But Ive seen people adding them and they are fine with it. I have my problems so I know what to keep away from my diet. Dry bay (dafin) Im adding sometimes. Basil (busuioc) if im lucky and find some in the market. Also we add some very unusual stuff to it for special aroma. This is used in the country side and almost forgotten by our 'brightest' but my grandmother teach me to add a small cherry branch into the composition. I did it 1 or 2 times in my life. Not that often. But is an option you can try.
Eating this bors with onion is another piece of tradition here. So take it and try it. The mix is perfect.
Also flower petals. Blossom cherry petals, rose petals, apricot petals. Very nice flavor. A few fingers of it, not much.
Add later: Like I said I put my desired amount of salt by taste when I have it in my plate. I am also adding sour cream to it and stirr it. Aaaah, its divine good. Trust me. Placerea placerilor. You can eat it with turta (some home made bread but very flat and special flavor) , normal bread from commerce, polenta- is usualy my "bread" since I got fat after my 30's. Normal bread is getting me more fat. But polenta does not. Its my observation so believe it or not. It became the main food to eat with.
Dont eat it cold, but warm to very warm.
And is probably more to it... but you have the best of the best here. At least what I do and how I do it.
- Pofta Buna !

Last edited:
I told you is a story here.
First of all that -Borș- we use, we can buy from peasants in the food market OR directly from supermarket these days. Is a very common aliment. Now, how to use it, at least how I use it. I dont pour the entire 1L bottle into the mix, although Ive seen "idiots" doing it so, but is a waste of product this way, in my opinion. No, You pour 1/4 from 1Liter. Approximately, by taste, less or more and by eye. The taste comes after everything is done, so you must remember the splitting. In the composition, --I-- put everything is GREEN - whatever it is, but the most common are: parsley, dill, spinach(if I have access to it but rarely), cabbage-usually is the main green plant is always present in my composition, 1/2 or 1/4 depends how big it is. Salad leaf's when is the season for it. 1-2-3 radish(occasionally) , green peas. Sometimes a single small squash. Also mushrooms. Im making all into a tall inox(stainless steel) bowl of 10L with glass lid.
Now the consistent stuff: potatoes sometimes, pasta in general, whatever it is and be careful when you put it since it must boil 8min and not more, so add them at the end of the boiling time, leave for 8min and close the flame. A hand or 2 of rice if I feel I want it. I boil it separately and then add it to the finished composition.
Preparation: You can use --everything-- into 1 composition OR choose what to add and what to not add. Your choice really. Cut everything very small and put into the bowl. Add water like 7L/10L. Dont fill it up to 10L since it will spill out when boiling and also you'll have to add later some other stuff. Leave it to boil... 30min-1h at High flame, to boil faster. Its water after all with some green stuff in it. When is boiling and bubbling, leave it to bubble like 5-10min. This way the green aroma and nutrients are well mixed, thats the idea. We are very close to finish it. Now I pour the bors, 1/4 from 1L like I said. The entire composition will rise up a bit and also will stop boiling since the cold liquid in to mix. Wait to boil again, and leave it like 2min or so to boil again. This way, you get a rich very pleasant and aromatic sour taste. But dont taste it yet, remember, is boiling ! Haha. You need your tongue in the future. And lastly, this is my way to make it, as I said, I add a fist of salt OR I leave it without salt. I ---usually--- add salt into my food (in general) while Im eating, stirring and combining it on the spot.
After I close the flame, I leave it there to get cold by its own, on the same flame eye, not moving it at all. This way is boiling and getting cold slowly. I leave it for 3h like that until is safe to touch it with your hand. After is at room temperature I store it into the fridge, yes, that big bowl into a single shelf. Is not THAT big. Also you must check first if your bowl will fit into the fridge first ! very important.
What --Borș-- contains a lot in it but no one will tell you, not even that "informative" page you read, is a lot of vitamin C that is a strong regenerative for the immune system, and a natural antidepressant and many, many healty qualities. Be aware that vitamin C or any other vitamin or mineral ingested, is processed "so much", the body takes what it needs and the rest is throw away through any hole your body has available. Dont eat the whole 10L at once, but on servings, 2 or 3 per day is fine. Ideally 1 per day, but is a light food category.
You probably notice I did not add any meat to it. Usually, my mom and my grandmom and the good cooks I encounter in my life, they use 1 full chicken in it, or whatever animal you like. But they need special preparation and also the fat that comes out from the meat, must be taken into account. My bors is clean, no fat no problems.
Aroma: I do NOT add pepper, hot pepper, or any crap like that. Will just ruin the natural taste. But Ive seen people adding them and they are fine with it. I have my problems so I know what to keep away from my diet. Dry bay (dafin) Im adding sometimes. Basil (busuioc) if im lucky and find some in the market. Also we add some very unusual stuff to it for special aroma. This is used in the country side and almost forgotten by our 'brightest' but my grandmother teach me to add a small cherry branch into the composition. I did it 1 or 2 times in my life. Not that often. But is an option you can try.
Eating this bors with onion is another piece of tradition here. So take it and try it. The mix is perfect.
Also flower petals. Blossom cherry petals, rose petals, apricot petals. Very nice flavor. A few fingers of it, not much.
Add later: Like I said I put my desired amount of salt by taste when I have it in my plate. I am also adding sour cream to it and stirr it. Aaaah, its divine good. Trust me. Placerea placerilor. You can eat it with turta (some home made bread but very flat and special flavor) , normal bread from commerce, polenta- is usualy my "bread" since I got fat after my 30's. Normal bread is getting me more fat. But polenta does not. Its my observation so believe it or not. It became the main food to eat with.
Dont eat it cold, but warm to very warm.
And is probably more to it... but you have the best of the best here. At least what I do and how I do it.
- Pofta Buna !
Just what I wanted - thank you. Your extra instructions will help me make it authentically. I will give it a go next week - something to look forward to in the making and the eating which is why I love cooking.

Reply to AT28C16 EEPROM learning experiments in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electricians on FB Group

Electricians Forums on FB

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back