bad work | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss bad work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
went to a job today, didn't know where to start.

all they wanted was a new socket or two, but after I saw this work I couldn't leave site without rectifying.

trouble is how to get paid for extra work.

I am a small business, not the electrical police. so I doubt I will get paid for making good, but couldn't leave it.

just wondered what you lot would have done?

[ElectriciansForums.net] bad work

additional ring jammed in cover!

[ElectriciansForums.net] bad work[ElectriciansForums.net] bad work

lighting radial was 1 foot too short!

[ElectriciansForums.net] bad work

the fire brigade would love this cable management over a fire exit for previous mentioned new ring

Know what you're saying sparkless.
You sound similar to me, got a bit of a conscience/maybe a bit soft/haven't got that ruthless streak.
That's why I prefer to be employed, I can shovel the responsibility onto someone else!

i concur also this is a bodged up mess
issue a hazard/ safety report to the owner about it.
also let him know your rates to repair it
if you warn the owner with a written report and retain a copy
you have covered your butt (dated and signed by both of you)

as a professional there is no excuse for that mess

Last edited:
i concur also this is a bodged up mess
issue a hazard/ safety report to the owner about it.
also let him know your rates to repair it
if you warn the owner with a written report and retain a copy
you have covered your butt (dated and signed by both of you)

as a professional there is no excuse for that mess

letter

per hour

danger notice

but he didn`t do it...and he cant force the client to have it sorted either

letter

per hour

danger notice

but he didn`t do it...and he cant force the client to have it sorted either

Gnuuser is in the sates mate, they will invariably have different methods, docs and procedures, to be fair a american spark wouldn't know what to do with one of our boards lol.

but hes singing near enough the same hymn as us lol

Gnuuser is in the sates mate, they will invariably have different methods, docs and procedures, to be fair a american spark wouldn't know what to do with one of our boards lol.

but hes singing near enough the same hymn as us lol

im not your average american spark I do have some familiarity with your wiring (we did a few disaster aid missions)
our liaison officer haled from bristol (i miss the old chap he had a hell of a nose for finding the pubs with the best beer):smile:
anyhow he was a spark himself and we had to restore temporary power to a hospital.
damaged mains from the substation to the primary disconnect and sub panels.
he said i did top notch work because i labeled and color coded each conductor when i installed them
he also taught me the most important rule
test the wire with a meter before touching it with my hands even if you know the power is off
after the conductors were installed i built guards over the cables and placed rubber pads beneath them(we couldnt fasten them to the walls yet untill they were repaired)

went to a job today, didn't know where to start.

all they wanted was a new socket or two, but after I saw this work I couldn't leave site without rectifying.

trouble is how to get paid for extra work.

I am a small business, not the electrical police. so I doubt I will get paid for making good, but couldn't leave it.

just wondered what you lot would have done?

View attachment 16636

additional ring jammed in cover!

View attachment 16637View attachment 16638

lighting radial was 1 foot too short!

View attachment 16639

the fire brigade would love this cable management over a fire exit for previous mentioned new ring
I suppose you could have asked if they were interested in fire protection lol

im not your average american spark I do have some familiarity with your wiring (we did a few disaster aid missions)
our liaison officer haled from bristol (i miss the old chap he had a hell of a nose for finding the pubs with the best beer):smile:
anyhow he was a spark himself and we had to restore temporary power to a hospital.
damaged mains from the substation to the primary disconnect and sub panels.
he said i did top notch work because i labeled and color coded each conductor when i installed them
he also taught me the most important rule
test the wire with a meter before touching it with my hands even if you know the power is off
after the conductors were installed i built guards over the cables and placed rubber pads beneath them(we couldnt fasten them to the walls yet untill they were repaired)

standard practice here fella

standard practice here fella

In my experience if a system is as buggered as this the owner knows it. You don`t have to be a sparky to recognize its dangerous. In these situations I issue a DN and then give them an estimate and tell them they are free to get other estimates. They will appreciate that and 9 times out of 10 you`ll get the work on the spot. The outcome is you have covered your backside and probably got yourself a long term customer too.

as it should be everywhere (standard practice) but we have to deal with the lazy ones as well who don't label or properly document ckt's
(these guys i could gleefully hang by the balls).
they cause a lot of downtime and extended headaches just trying to de-cypher their mess
not to mention when they extend circuits without checking total load on the circuit.

back when i was with the liaison officer i was 19 at the time and that was a long time ago

Last edited:

Reply to bad work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net