Bathroom supplementary bonding | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Bathroom supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

readingplumber

[h=2]
[ElectriciansForums.net] Bathroom supplementary bonding
[/h] I am a plumber by trade and posted this question on plumbers forum but was told to post it here instead! -

I am planning a a bathroom for a client in an extension but there is no existing pipework to connect onto for the supplementary bonding. Would it be ok to connect it to the earth wires on say the light circuit or ringmain? Thanks!

If you have RCD protection for all circuits in the bathroom (which is required) and the main bonding to gas water oil etc is in place and the electrical circuits are compliant in terms of disconnection times then you do not need to install supplementary bonding in a bathroom.
That said if you do need it (you shouldn't) then it should also be connected to the earthing for the circuits in the room anyway so yes.

I agree with Richard, but you say it is an extension, is it a newly built extension, or an existing building? If it is new, then get the Electrician who has wired it all to show you the RCD or RCBO's which will have been fitted into the consumer unit, also ask to see the Electrical Installation Certificate and schedule of tests, these will confirm that all the disconnection times etc have been met.

I appreciate that you may not understand the contents of these documents, but if they have been issued, then you can assume all is well electrically, and carry on as per Richards advice above.

If there are no RCD's or RCBO's and no electrical installation certificate, schedule of inspections or schedule of tests, then the install is not compliant.

If you look at the schedule of results, on the left hand side you will see a listing of each circuit, if you follow the line across to the right hand side you will see a box for "ADDITIONAL PROTECTION" and below that x1 and x5, the x5 should have a value of 40ms or less, if he has installed RCBO's then this should be completed for each circuit, if the circuits are protected by one RCD, then it may just be the top circuit that has been filled in. If the value is 40ms or less for each circuit then you do not need to bond.

Cheers...........Howard

PS, just an after thought, the client will (should) have the paperwork from the electrician.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Bathroom supplementary bonding

I am a plumber by trade and posted this question on plumbers forum but was told to post it here instead! -

I am planning a a bathroom for a client in an extension but there is no existing pipework to connect onto for the supplementary bonding. Would it be ok to connect it to the earth wires on say the light circuit or ringmain? Thanks!

Why are you worrying about the bonding, it's not your responsibility it's the sparks, and as the bonding is not required if there are RCD's/RCBO's on the circuits I cannot see why your getting yourself involved with this...

Why are you worrying about the bonding, it's not your responsibility it's the sparks, and as the bonding is not required if there are RCD's/RCBO's on the circuits I cannot see why your getting yourself involved with this...

He wants to know because he's planning to do it himself.........he never mentioned a spark.

He wants to know because he's planning to do it himself.........he never mentioned a spark.

If this is the case I will offer the same advice I got when I asked for help on the plumbers forum with regards to my gas boiler

"are you gas safe register'd?

we no longer give advise to non gas safe registered people on the public forum. the only advise we can give is contact a local engineer."

then the thread was closed

so , get a spark in...

btw having new boiler today

Hi All
Thanks for responding to my thread -
This forum is no different to the plumbing one really -
Helpful people, unhelpful people,self proclaimed comedians and people who dont understand how to read the question.

The reason i asked the question in the first place was - because if the work involved any extra costs I can allow for it in the planning, but im satisfied it doesnt because the helpful guys here have answered the question, so when my electrician comes there will be no hidden costs.

Thanks

Readingplumber

Hi All
Thanks for responding to my thread -
This forum is no different to the plumbing one really -
Helpful people, unhelpful people,self proclaimed comedians and people who dont understand how to read the question.

The reason i asked the question in the first place was - because if the work involved any extra costs I can allow for it in the planning, but im satisfied it doesnt because the helpful guys here have answered the question, so when my electrician comes there will be no hidden costs.

Thanks

Readingplumber

How do you work that out?

think he means he might have a spark that trained as a plumber. stands there with a mournful expression, sucking on his teeth and skaking his head. " no supplementary bonding, mate. this is going to cost another hundred to fix".

Reply to Bathroom supplementary bonding in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net