becoming a domestic electrician !!confused!! | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss becoming a domestic electrician !!confused!! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnoconnor

hi I am looking if someone can guide me in the right direction i currently i qualified electrical engineer and work a 4 on 4 off pattern but i am wanting to see how to become a domestic electrician below are the current qualifications i already hold and i am going to do the 17th edition first amendment soon so any advice on what else I will need to acquire will be a great help cheers
current qualification:
BTEC national certificate level 3 (electrical/electronic engineering)
National Vocational Qualification level 3 (engineering maintenance (electrical))
semta modern aprenticeship in engineering

hi I am looking if someone can guide me in the right direction i currently i qualified electrical engineer and work a 4 on 4 off pattern but i am wanting to see how to become a domestic electrician below are the current qualifications i already hold and i am going to do the 17th edition first amendment soon so any advice on what else I will need to acquire will be a great help cheers
current qualification:
National Vocational Qualification level 3 (engineering maintenance (electrical))

Well I'm enjoying it :smiley2:

Just contact any of the registration bodies.. Napit, Elecsa, NICEIC, Stroma etc and have a chat with them, they will tell you what they want from you with regards qualifications and also if what you have is sufficient.

I could write a page on what should be obtained and the criteria involved ,but given that the Councils (on the whole)had no interest in the Part P idea from the outset,they have even less now that the vast majority of its requirements have been ditched

Just get your tools out and crack on

current qualification:

Well first off you're NOT an Electrical Engineer, your only qualified to level 3, which is basically ''Approved Electrician'' or maybe Technician'' if experienced . Though you are working in, probably a high tech industrial position...

So why you would be wanting to enter the Domestic sector of this industry, is totally beyond my understanding. Do you actually believe that the grass is greener doing Domestic?? Do yourself a favour and USE the qualifications you have attained to date, to BETTER yourself, ...don't throw them down the bloody drain, with the half baked idea you presently have.

Remember, ....Being a complete idiot is easy!! lol!!

hi i was just wondering to help out friends and relatives on my 4 days off not a change of career i do all the work if not very similar in my work place taking cables off distribution boards changing fittings and installs but is there anything i need to do course wise to make myself able to do domestic electrics i already drive and dont have the patience to teach other people so cheers for the comments but thats no help

On that basis then;

First thing you need to do is check your employment T's & C's to see if your current employer will allow you;
a, to run another business whilst an employee
b, run an electrical business whilst an employee.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by johnoconnor
hi i was just wondering to help out friends and relatives on my 4 days off not a change of career i do all the work if not very similar in my work place taking cables off distribution boards changing fittings and installs but is there anything i need to do course wise to make myself able to do domestic electrics i already drive and dont have the patience to teach other people so cheers for the comments but thats no help

If that is what you were asking why didn't you state that in your OP?

All you need in this case is the 17th ed qual and a wad of cash to give to a scheme provider of your choice!!

Oh and if you're bothered, .....what snowhead has pointed out above, with regards to your present employers standing!!!

Reply to becoming a domestic electrician !!confused!! in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net