Boiler FCU location | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Boiler FCU location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

marshr02

Looking for advice. Boiler is in locked cupboard in bathroom, outside Zone 2. Not sure on siting of FCU. I know it's commonly put inside the boiler cupboard, but what if the boiler needs to be turned off in emergency? I have the option of putting the FCU on the wall nearby - again outside Zone 2, and well away from any splashes. Any thoughts? cheers

but if the plumber who fitted the boiler was locked in the cupboard with it as a CO detector ( like canaries used to be used in the mines), now that would be logical.

Thanks for reply. Hey, I've got no problems making a decision on the two locations, just thought I would go to the forum for a discussion, in order to see if there was a consensus. Personally it seems to me all boilers should have a means of emergency isolation within quick and easy reach. The boiler in a locked cupboard is becuase, while being outside Zone 2 it's quite near to the sink, and liable to be operated by wet hands - which I think should be discouraged.

This was going to be a question,but in view of the departure of the serious one. and with the silly tantrums in mind

What is this concern he has about emergency switching which prompted his question ?

If there was need for emergency switching,it would no doubt have a big red button on the front of the boiler

This was going to be a question,but in view of the departure of the serious one. and with the silly tantrums in mind

What is this concern he has about emergency switching which prompted his question ?

If there was need for emergency switching,it would no doubt have a big red button on the front of the boiler

........... and a red flashing strobe light to let you know when it's been activated.

What the hell would a Scouser know about the mines ??

You lot were all either dockers or dole scroungers. :stuart:

just because we had no mines to nick coal from, we had the railway yard. that coal burnt just as well as the stuff you heathens nicked. :54:

Boiler is IPx4D meaning okay for Zone 2 without any cupboard, locked or otherwise...however other factors mean additional protection is desired. My question was relating to isolation in the event of problems, the analogy being a washing machine having an isolation switch above the worktop, to make up for the inaccessibility of the SO. Any knowledgeable replies gratefully received, but please make sure you've read the question properly this time ;)

just because we had no mines to nick coal from, we had the railway yard. that coal burnt just as well as the stuff you heathens nicked. :54:

Lol ....... Just behind the house where I live now, there was a rope operated incline that took coal from the top of the hill down to the river to be put on ships for export.

This incline was self-activating meaning the weight of the loaded wagons coming down pulled the empty ones back up - and it was steep.

I was inevitable that accidents would happen and full wagons would run away, capsize and scatter their load all over the shop and whenever id did a whole tribe of Geordie lasses ( the gadgees were all at work ) would descend on the wreckage armed with buckets and shovels before the dust had a chance to settle.

By the time the breakdown crew arrived on the scene all they had to deal with was an empty wagon or three.

As kids, that wagon way was our playground and we had to be bloody careful not to get caught in the rope or be run down as you couldn't hear these wagons approaching. some women were killed over the years when their dresses / skirts got caught in the moving rope as they were crossing the line.

With all the Health & Safety nonsense we have now that line would never have been built.

Boiler is IPx4D meaning okay for Zone 2 without any cupboard, locked or otherwise...however other factors mean additional protection is desired. My question was relating to isolation in the event of problems, the analogy being a washing machine having an isolation switch above the worktop, to make up for the inaccessibility of the SO. Any knowledgeable replies gratefully received, but please make sure you've read the question properly this time ;)

So you're going to have an isolator to switch the boiler off in an emergency and you're asking if you should fit it on a wall or lock it inside a locked cupboard?? .. Really??

Would you lock - say - a fire extinguisher in a cupboard??

What is your definition of the word "emergency"?

Something that needs to be addressed immediately? Tomorrow will do?? ........... or we'll be back to see to it next Michaelmass Wednesday??

My definition is "something that needs to be addressed immediately" so I am NOT going to fart about with locked cupboard doors !!

We had the pit in the valley,the village half way up the mountain and the tip up the top
The buckets we called them,were the same as Geordie described,but these were overhead

We used to ride them as kids when they reached the tip,perhaps at times 200 or so feet up hanging from the handle on the side
We had concerns about them tipping their load,one old dear triggered the bucket to pinch the coal as was usual,the slag tipped on her,she died on the tip,battered and broken,it was a sorry sight

It didn't stop the gatherers,they would sell the coal by the bag fulfilling their regular order books

We had the pit in the valley,the village half way up the mountain and the tip up the top
The buckets we called them,were the same as Geordie described,but these were overhead

We used to ride them as kids when they reached the tip,perhaps at times 200 or so feet up hanging from the handle on the side
We had concerns about them tipping their load,one old dear triggered the bucket to pinch the coal as was usual,the slag tipped on her,she died on the tip,battered and broken,it was a sorry sight

It didn't stop the gatherers,they would sell the coal by the bag fulfilling their regular order books

We had them here as well. I think they were at Horden or thereabouts - down the coast a bit towards Teesside. You can see them in the film Get Carter at the very end.

We couldn't work-out how he ( Carter ) managed to walk straight over from the staiths at Blyth to this overhead thing as they must have been about 50 miles apart !!

Both the staiths and the overhead thing have long gone.

Reply to Boiler FCU location in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net