bonding of gas services | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss bonding of gas services in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DDnot

I posted yesterday that I am doing an installation in a garage but the gas service is not bonded. The gas main supply pipe seems to be made of plastic. Everyone nearly replied that I have to bond it anyway. It is a completely new gas installation. I found it the on-site guide page 41 at the bottom "There is no requirement to bond an incoming service where the incoming service is plastic, for example, where yellow is used for natural gas and blue for potable water." What do you think?

I'm just reposting this which is what I posted on your thread of the same title .......

I've just last week been through all of this at my mate's house.

He build an extension on the side of his house to make a garage with utility room on the back and an extra bedroom on the top.

There was no gas supply to the house as the previous owner wanted it to be all electric, so we decided the best place for the gas meter would be in the garage near the front door, and the boiler in the utility room at the back of the garage.

My mate dug the trench for the gas supply pipe from the front of the garage to the street, while I installed all the carcase pipework from the intended meter position to the utility room & then on to the kitchen. (Yes, I am retired, but I am sufficiently experienced and still qualified to carry-out certain work.)

Contractors then arrived to lay the yellow MDPE (plastic) pipe in the trench, then in a GRP sleeve up the wall of the garage to a height of about 300mm where it was connected by means of a plastic connector to a steel pipe passing through the garage wall. It then continued in steel to the proposed position of the meter. So, all the way from the street, it is yellow plastic and is still in yellow plastic - with a GRP sleeve - until it enters the garage at a height of 300mm from the floor.

The water main is also MDPE all the way from the street to the main stop cock in the kitchen, and from there the water is run in copper to the boiler and from the boiler, but everything else is run in that Godawful plastic rubbish.

The electricity supply to the boiler is by means of 2.5mm 3 core flex through a switched fused spur fitted with a 3 amp fuse. From the switched fused spur we have 2.5mm T&E running back to a 6A RCBO in the CU.

On Friday, British Grasp arrived to supply & fit the gas meter - well actually they sent a young lass who looked like she left school the week before and was from Bury St. Edmunds, so there was a language barrier there straight away!!

Anyway, she managed to "fix" the gas meter to the brick garage wall with plasterboard fixings and then seeing no sign of a bit of 10mm green / yellow bonding cable, proceeded to give is a lecture on the importance of this "earthing" !!!

I just nodded and smiled until she had gone. Then I proceeded to fix the meter to the wall properly .........

Not sure if I fully understand the main question. Are you saying that the incoming gas pipe to the meter is plastic and also the outgoing pipes is plastic.
if the complete installation is plastic then you do not need to bond but if its metal on the customer side you have to bond it unless you prove it's not extraneous

I posted yesterday that I am doing an installation in a garage but the gas service is not bonded. The gas main supply pipe seems to be made of plastic. Everyone nearly replied that I have to bond it anyway. It is a completely new gas installation. I found it the on-site guide page 41 at the bottom "There is no requirement to bond an incoming service where the incoming service is plastic, for example, where yellow is used for natural gas and blue for potable water." What do you think?

What do YOU think is more to the point, and WHY did you start this thread which is the same as the one you started the day before and which collected a lot of responses / answers??

The mind boggles !!!

From what you have said gas is plastic up until entering where it is then steel to the meter and copper beyond.
Yes I think you should bond it.
water pipe incoming is copper from main stop tap all way to boiler...yes i think you should bond it.

what does it matter if the lass was young, your retired you probably can't tell whether someone is 18 or 28. Bet that lass knows a hell of a lot more than you do, it is her job after all.
Bet you would think the same of me if I came and did your electrics. I'm fully qualified and I'm 26 but I look younger. I have trouble telling if someone is old enough to buy alcohol and I'm a lot closer to their age then you are.

From what you have said gas is plastic up until entering where it is then steel to the meter and copper beyond.
water pipe incoming is copper from main stop tap all way to boiler...yes i think you should bond it.

what does it matter if the lass was young, your retired you probably can't tell whether someone is 18 or 28. Bet that lass knows a hell of a lot more than you do, it is her job after all.
Bet you would think the same of me if I came and did your electrics. I'm fully qualified and I'm 26 but I look younger. I have trouble telling if someone is old enough to buy alcohol and I'm a lot closer to their age then you are.

I will not "think I should bond it" I shall measure it and then I will KNOW if I should bond it.

As for the lass who came to fit the gas meters, fitting gas meters is all she does, and in this case she did it badly.

Finally, contrary to what you may like to think, it matters nothing to me a craftspersons age, appearance or gender - as long as the person is competent in the work that that person is employed to do.

In this case, the female person was not - otherwise I would not have had the need to correct her work

Thank you for your interest and comment.

Last edited by a moderator:
I will not "think I should bond it" I shall measure it and then I will KNOW if I should bond it.

As for the lass who came to fit the gas meters, fitting gas meters is all she does, and in this case she did it badly.

Finally, contrary to what you may like to think, it matters nothing to me a craftspersons age, appearance or gender - as long as the person is competent in the work that that person is employed to do.

In this case, the female person was not - otherwise I would not have had the need to correct her work

Thank you for your interest and comment.
maybe I should have said 'IMO' instead of 'I think' I can't measure it from this far away, hence why I said I think YOU should.

best response that could have been given!!

She used the wrong fittings and also incorrectly mentioned earthing. Sounds like the standard BG level of knowledge..she'll do well.

I used to run council contract, hated when it came to gas meter reading time of the year. Next 3-4 weeks would get hundreds of earth bond installs...council reasoning being that they wanted it on show in meter box. 75% of them were just the other side of the wall so within regs but still had to do it.

I used to run council contract, hated when it came to gas meter reading time of the year. Next 3-4 weeks would get hundreds of earth bond installs...council reasoning being that they wanted it on show in meter box. 75% of them were just the other side of the wall so within regs but still had to do it.
At cost to who

Reply to bonding of gas services in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net