cable problems | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss cable problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

potatoman

Hi ,how do you check the resistance of a cable thats about 140m long, goes through 3 consumer units and between the consumer units it is different sizes

How about answering the question
thought i did in post#2. measure the resistance of each section, the add them up. low ohm meter, then a pencil and paper ( or , if you are flush, a calculator.)

Use a low resistance ohmmeter and a zeroed (very) long lead to measure the resistance of each section and add the resistances together.

If you have more than one of the same size conductor connect the conductors together at one end and measure the resistance between the two conductors at the other end and halve the result to get the resistance of one conductor.

I am no spark,but at least I know it,just spent 10k on a solar PV system ,the so called trained electrician never checked the AC cable like what has been sugested and now it does not work and all he wants to do now is increase the paramiters of the inverter

I am no spark,but at least I know it,just spent 10k on a solar PV system ,the so called trained electrician never checked the AC cable like what has been sugested and now it does not work and all he wants to do now is increase the paramiters of the inverter
How about getting him to provide a test certificate for the job done. For the 10k paid, I think it should be expected.

Last edited:
How about answering the question

Exactly what you should be asking your electrician, not coming on to an electricians forum and demanding it from us. All of us here love to help when we can, if we think it is appropriate. In this case, you need to talk to your electrician, not get advice on how to put yourself in danger.

Reply to cable problems in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net