Came across this today ....... | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Came across this today ....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

magnoliafan89

-
Arms
Reaction score
Got sent to a house today to remove a supply to a shed down the bottom of the garden...maybe 20m away from board. Went out the 32a breaker in 6mm t and e jointed under a floorboard to 2.5mm armoured,down a wall to the outside and then under the garden. Entered the shed through a drilled hole and the earth into the banjo is just wedged into the hole.
4 double sockets lighting circuit and not sure what the 16a inside was for. But there was a pond powered off it whether that was the plugged in or the 16a.
As you can imagine she wasnt best pleased when we told her we were disconnecting it and it had to go.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Came across this today .......

Was done in 2011 by an outside contractor...dont wanna say the name as it may land me in trouble but lets just say it was a Gloucester based company. They did a lot of our places before we did and we constantly find problems with their work....like another board that theyd flipped upside down...and i mean actually upside down breakers and all because theyd used too short a cables for the tails coming up

Was done in 2011 by an outside contractor...dont wanna say the name as it may land me in trouble but lets just say it was a Gloucester based company. They did a lot of our places before we did and we constantly find problems with their work....like another board that theyd flipped upside down...and i mean actually upside down breakers and all because theyd used too short a cables for the tails coming up

I would say fitting a board upside down is a big no no for a few reasons, power switches now must not be able to energise a circuit or load by accident like an object falling down on them, that is why they design flip switches for power as ON in the up position and OFF in the down position... also if the board is upside down the electric could leak out :rolleyes:

Oh dear, that's an ugly one.
More than once I've been called to quote on extending from installations like that. Funny thing, after politely explaining what's needed they don't invite me back.

Had a big 'discussion' with a customer this week as he couldn't understand why his just bought 2nd hand hot tub (believed to be 32A load) couldn't be connected to the shed 75m from the house that was already supplied by an 'armoured cable' (2.5 T&E in a garden hose pipe and buried).

I'm to quote for a proper armoured supply, isolator, etc. from garages being built 65m away that will come from another buildings intake.

Once he's confirmed the make, model etc to determine the load and I can calculate the cable size required, I somehow don't think I'll be hearing back from him.

ive been asked to put a supply mcb for a electric charging point a company will fit

there is old wylex board feeding the stables wylex board and new board

this board then feeds a new open fronted carport/workshop but there is a 40a mcb to the carport on 2.5mm swa which then has a garage unit with 16a on the lights and 16a on the sockets

ive advised to put the 40a down to 20a and then move the lights onto a 3a switched spur then allows 16a free for charging point.

i was asked if i could change the board so it could be future proof to extend onto other building being built lol

ive been asked to put a supply mcb for a electric charging point a company will fit

there is old wylex board feeding the stables wylex board and new board

this board then feeds a new open fronted carport/workshop but there is a 40a mcb to the carport on 2.5mm swa which then has a garage unit with 16a on the lights and 16a on the sockets

ive advised to put the 40a down to 20a and then move the lights onto a 3a switched spur then allows 16a free for charging point.

i was asked if i could change the board so it could be future proof to extend onto other building being built lol
What exactly do you mean, in your opening paragraph?

to just leave a 16amp mcb in a fuseboard ready for them to fit a charging point
And you are not installing the charging point? I would leave it the the peopledoing the install, they are the ones responsible for designing the circuit including the OCPD

And you are not installing the charging point? I would leave it the the peopledoing the install, they are the ones responsible for designing the circuit including the OCPD

ive quoted to just leave it so they can wire in

they are saying they cant do all the other stuff

i have only quoted and they have not said yes yet.

i will just downgrade everything so its safe to use. I have warned them that with the charging point and anything else being used its likely to overload the 20amp in the stables

ive quoted to just leave it so they can wire in

they are saying they cant do all the other stuff

i have only quoted and they have not said yes yet.

i will just downgrade everything so its safe to use. I have warned them that with the charging point and anything else being used its likely to overload the 20amp in the stables
Sorry newbie1980, "they can't do all the other stuff" what is meant by that? This company doing the install are responsible for ensuring that the installation is safe and fit for use, can't honestly see the point of you putting a 16A CB in the fuseboardfor them to connect to, there are things to take into account, like install method, lenght of run, type of cable etc, sounds to me like they will blame you if the CB is wrongly sized like I said earlier the CB size will need to be considered when "they" come up with design for the circuit, who exactly are "they".
Will "they be certifying the installation? sounds iffy to me.

Sorry newbie1980, "they can't do all the other stuff" what is meant by that? This company doing the install are responsible for ensuring that the installation is safe and fit for use, can't honestly see the point of you putting a 16A CB in the fuseboardfor them to connect to, there are things to take into account, like install method, lenght of run, type of cable etc, sounds to me like they will blame you if the CB is wrongly sized like I said earlier the CB size will need to be considered when "they" come up with design for the circuit, who exactly are "they".
Will "they be certifying the installation? sounds iffy to me.

they are the ones who did a site visit said they wanted water bonding doing the 40amp feeding the garage off 2.5mm downgrading to 20amp and a 16amp available in the board to attach to.
They asked for a spare way as it is only a 2way board and they had no where to feed into so i pressume that they would provide the 16amp if i didnt
i was like you on why they cannot do the works it does seem strange but the client had a sheet showing all that they needed for them to install and the installer is a national charging point installer
my reason for putting this up was that some of the install is clearly new and clearly someone has bodged the original install

m
they are the ones who did a site visit said they wanted water bonding doing the 40amp feeding the garage off 2.5mm downgrading to 20amp and a 16amp available in the board to attach to.
They asked for a spare way as it is only a 2way board and they had no where to feed into so i pressume that they would provide the 16amp if i didn't
i was like you on why they cannot do the works it does seem strange but the client had a sheet showing all that they needed for them to install and the installer is a national charging point installer
my reason for putting this up was that some of the install is clearly new and clearly someone has bodged the original install
Mate, don't want to sound like a School Teacher, but your last post is very hard to understand, lack of punctuation makes it very hard to determine, what has been done, does this customer of your's give you much work? if no, then I would be inclined to walk, as all they are asking for is a replacement CB, hardly worth the bother in my book anyway.
The company in question, looks to me like they are employing robots to do the charging point install, asking for bonding etc, only goes to make .ny point a valid one.
You have to ask yourself, with all the work they require to be done before they turn up, do they know what they are doing, with your input to the installation, how will they be able to certify this install, like I said, if there is not much in it for you, then leave it alone, that's my opinion, others may disagree.

They asked for a spare way as it is only a 2way board and they had no where to feed into so i pressume that they would provide the 16amp if i didnt
Mate, don't want to sound like a School Teacher, but your last post is very hard to understand, lack of punctuation makes it very hard to determine, what has been done, does this customer of your's give you much work? if no, then I would be inclined to walk, as all they are asking for is a replacement CB, hardly worth the bother in my book anyway.
The company in question, looks to me like they are employing robtsto do the charging point,asking for bonding etc, only goes to make ny point a valid one.
You have to ask yourself, with all the work they require to be done before they turn up, do they know what they are doing, with your input to the installation, how will they be able to certify this install, like I said, if there is not much in it for you, then leave it alone, that's my opinion, others may disagree.

Reply to Came across this today ....... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net