Currently reading:
Can anyone give me the answer and source for this question on current carrying capacity

Discuss Can anyone give me the answer and source for this question on current carrying capacity in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello I just need to know the correct order and a source which shows me that it is that order please

When calculating the current carrying capacity

Is the correct order

Ib ≤ In ≤ It ≤ Iz

Or

Ib ≤ In ≤ Iz ≤ It

Niceone

Hello I just need to know the correct order and a source which shows me that it is that order please

Is the correct order

Ib ≤ In ≤ It ≤ Iz

Or

Ib ≤ In ≤ Iz ≤ It

Niceone
Worth having a read

Worth having a read

Thanks for your reply, I have read this before and it shows the formula without (It).

The reason that I’m asking is that I’ve been told by my tutor that the order that I think it is is incorrect but without giving me a source

The order I think it is

Ib ≤ In ≤ It ≤ Iz

The reason

First you calculate your design current

Then select a safety device that is equal or larger than that current

Then you find the tabulated current by applying factors such as grouping, insulation etc
Using this It ≥ In/CgCaCsCdCiCfCc

This is now the actual current that will pass through the cable

Iz value when larger or equal to (It) will correspond to a csa that will take this current

All these values come from bs7671 tables

This makes sense to me but I’m happy to find out I’m wrong and do it correctly, all I want is a source that shows me that I’m wrong

Is the correct order

Ib ≤ In ≤ It ≤ Iz

Or

Ib ≤ In ≤ Iz ≤ It

Niceone
Thanks for your reply, I have read this before and it shows the formula without (It).

The reason that I’m asking is that I’ve been told by my tutor that the order that I think it is is incorrect but without giving me a source

The order I think it is

Ib ≤ In ≤ It ≤ Iz

The reason

First you calculate your design current

Then select a safety device that is equal or larger than that current

Then you find the tabulated current by applying factors such as grouping, insulation etc
Using this It ≥ In/CgCaCsCdCiCfCc

This is now the actual current that will pass through the cable

Iz value when larger or equal to (It) will correspond to a csa that will take this current

All these values come from bs7671 tables

This makes sense to me but I’m happy to find out I’m wrong and do it correctly, all I want is a source that shows me that I’m wrong

This might make it clearer to what I mean and why I’m asking

Thanks

You don't normally see It in the equation. What you would normally do is apply correction factors then select a cable/conductor for Iz from It they are just asking you to include It. Iz is not necessarily the same as It for example It could be 10A and Iz 15A. Remember It is not the current that will pass through the cable but the current carrying capacity of the cable required due to external influences, for example In is 16A so your cable (Iz) must be rated at 16A or above and without correction factors this is as read but correction factors can "squeeze" the rating of the cable down to say 13A hence a larger csa is required, Ib does not change.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can anyone give me the answer and source for this question on current carrying capacity in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Courses

This is the main Electrical Courses at ElectriciansForums.net. Find local recommended electricians courses. Avoid training "company" scams. Always go view the training centre before booking any electrical courses.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock