Currently reading:
Can I charge my caravan battery from my car alternator with a DC to DC while idling?

Discuss Can I charge my caravan battery from my car alternator with a DC to DC while idling? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

If there are people prepared to pay what a new top end touring caravan costs these days, then they're hardly going to notice a £500 battery.
Batteries are not normally supplied with a new caravan.

Most caravanners will go to camp sites and plug in the mains.

Would you buy one ?

OP is in Australia, if the flag is correct.

They might not have the same facilities on caravan parks as we do in the uk….

Ie, do they go “off grid” for extended periods and are only able to charge while driving or PV whatever.

We should get an update overnight.

I'm never likely to buy a new caravan, or a new car either, as I far prefer other people to take the main hit of depreciation, but if I was paying out £45,000+, I'd expect a battery to be included. Even if you do plug in when at a site, a battery is still needed for stops while travelling, and to power the mover while siting the van or hitching it up.

I'm never likely to buy a new caravan, or a new car either, as I far prefer other people to take the main hit of depreciation, but if I was paying out £45,000+, I'd expect a battery to be included. Even if you do plug in when at a site, a battery is still needed for stops while travelling, and to power the mover while siting the van or hitching it up.
I'm sure they would throw one in if you spent that amount, but I doubt they would even mention lithium.
I wouldn't be surprised if the majority of people even knew that they existed.

Last edited:
It's only an option, I would have thought most people wouldn't want to pay the £300 - £1000 for a battery.
But LifePo4 batteries are far far superior to Lead Acid... and considering the life cycle of LA, will be cheaper. For a boat, it's a no-brainer to fit Lithium these days.... for a Campervan, I guess it would be too...

If I was buying a caravan/campervan... I'd want to design and install my own electrical system... that way, it would be exactly what I wanted, rather than a 'built down to a price' half baked solution.

But LifePo4 batteries are far far superior to Lead Acid... and considering the life cycle of LA, will be cheaper. For a boat, it's a no-brainer to fit Lithium these days.... for a Campervan, I guess it would be too...
It's a no-brainer if you can afford to do it or indeed have a need to do it.
Lead acid batteries have done ok for the last 150yrs and continue to do so.

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Can I charge my caravan battery from my car alternator with a DC to DC while idling? in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock