Changing a ceiling rose to 2 wire light fitting | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Changing a ceiling rose to 2 wire light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

MattHal

DIY
Reaction score
Hello,

Trying to change an older ceiling rose into a new light fitting, which only has a 2 cable attachment.
I actually forgot to take a picture of it wired in this time, annoying.

I realise it doesn't need earthing, but there is an additional wire, blue with red casing around it.
Not sure what I'm meant to do with that?
Also assume it's ok to fit the 3 live and 3 neutrals into the one space on the new connector.

Images here:

Thanks!

TL;DR
Trying to change an older ceiling rose into a new light fitting, which only has a 2 cable attachment.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Changing a ceiling rose to 2 wire light fitting
    New Fitting.jpg
    303 KB · Views: 15
    Old Ceiling Rose.jpg
    390.9 KB · Views: 15
    Wires.jpg
    254.1 KB · Views: 15
Your new fitting is deemed double insulated (the two squares) and this is achieved by containing wires within that tiny box to keep them separate from metal parts, whether those brown and blue wires achieve separation is debatable. Being made in China I would question it's compliance and quality not something I would fit.
All of your wires cannot be contained within that tiny box hence they need a separate "maintenance free" enclosure in the ceiling void with a single two core flex to the light. Do you know where all those wires connected at the old fitting, i presume there is an extract fan?

The blue with the red tape is likely to be the switched live
To fit that new fitting you will need some Wago's to connect the reds together, the blacks together and the earths together, connect the blue/red to the live on the new fitting and take a neutral from the blacks that are connected together to the fitting

The yellow/red and red connected together would suggest a switched live looped through the existing fitting to another light fixture

Your new fitting is deemed double insulated (the two squares) and this is achieved by containing wires within that tiny box to keep them separate from metal parts, whether those brown and blue wires achieve separation is debatable. Being made in China I would question it's compliance and quality not something I would fit.
All of your wires cannot be contained within that tiny box hence they need a separate "maintenance free" enclosure in the ceiling void with a single two core flex to the light. Do you know where all those wires connected at the old fitting, i presume there is an extract fan?

Thanks for the reply.

No extract fan.

The yellow cables with the red sleeve (in the plastic connector) weren't previously connected to anything.

I think the 3 reds went into loop in, assume the 3 black went into Flex N as there are 3 spaces there.
Then Flex L has space for 2 cables, so maybe the blue with the red sheath went here.

The blue with the red tape is likely to be the switched live
To fit that new fitting you will need some Wago's to connect the reds together, the blacks together and the earths together, connect the blue/red to the live on the new fitting and take a neutral from the blacks that are connected together to the fitting

The yellow/red and red connected together would suggest a switched live looped through the existing fitting to another light fixture
You can't have all those conductors contained within that fitting, it is deemed Class II.

Any professional forum member in or near Somerset help out?
Needs a little more help than we can offer from afar.

Reply to Changing a ceiling rose to 2 wire light fitting in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net