Connecting armoured cable to a socket | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Connecting armoured cable to a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Deepblue6

DIY
Reaction score
I have an armoured cable which is connected in my house to a normal socket via an rcd plug, 1.5mm flex and a junction box, the armoured cable sheath is earthed in the junction box by connecting the metal gland to the flex earth.

At the other I have bought a waterproof socket (using it in my shed, just bought it as it takes the armoured cable directly).
My questions are about the connection to the socket in the shed. I've attached a picture of the wiring diagram.

Do I need to earth the sheath on this side too? If so, do I just connect this earthing strap to one of the earth terminals.

In the diagram it shows 3 wires from above and below, as well as a functional earth and an earth to the mounting box terminal. In my application I only have 3 wires from my armoured cable + 1 if I earth the sheath... What am I missing?[ElectriciansForums.net] Connecting armoured cable to a socket

TL;DR
I'm trying to connect my armoured cable to a socket in my shed. Please could someone help explain the wiring diagram attached?
Last edited by a moderator:
Providing a supply to an outbuilding is beyond the skill set of DIY.
It normally would require notification to building control (part p notification)

What you are suggesting is possible in some circumstances but is not normally the right way to do it.

Be honest with the electrician that you employ, tell them that you have put this cable in for the intention of supplying the shed and ask them if they can power it up, make it safe and deal with the part p notification on your behalf.

Providing a supply to an outbuilding is beyond the skill set of DIY.
It normally would require notification to building control (part p notification)

What you are suggesting is possible in some circumstances but is not normally the right way to do it.

Be honest with the electrician that you employ, tell them that you have put this cable in for the intention of supplying the shed and ask them if they can power it up, make it safe and deal with the part p notification on your behalf.
I thought this would not require part p notification because it's connecting via a plug to an existing socket in my house. Similar to using an extension wire.

The only reason I've gone down the armoured cable route is to get the 2.5mm cores as it's a fairly long garden, another choice would have been to use 2.5mm arctic cable to create an extension, but though armoured would be safer.

Can you show a pic of how it is currently connected in the house.
You show an RCD socket, do your sockets already have RCD protection?

Can you show a pic of how it is currently connected in the house.
You show an RCD socket, do your sockets already have RCD protection?
I'm currently away, just planning for whem I get back, so can't do a picture, but it goes it goes RCD plug, 1.5mm flex, junction box, 2.5mm armoured cable.

Yes I do already have RCD protection via an rcd plug, but the rcd socket for the shed was on sale so I got it, no harm on having double rcd.

How is this cable installed through this long run.

I think I've found the answers to my questions...

I can just do a straight forward wiring i.e. connect the 3 wires from the armoured cable to their respective terminals.

The earthing of the sheath at both ends is optional, but good practice, so I'll do it on both ends. Just need to connect an earthing strap from the gland to one of the earth terminals.

Would appreciate a flag if this is wrong.

Reply to Connecting armoured cable to a socket in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net