Contactor---> Ring, wiring advice. | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Contactor---> Ring, wiring advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

whproject

My apologies all, my post was of coarse missing some stuff, and rather confusing.

1. Are there any obvious rules preventing the use of ring circuits coming from a contactor like the one pictured below, it doesn't s seem there is.

2 Provided there are no restrictions preventing the use of a ring circuit with said contactor, is the wiring on the diagram correct.

This 2 pole contactor is of coarse capable of a 63A load at point 1 and point 3 simultaneously correct or have I misunderstood something, what I am asking is hypothetically if 50A rated wire was used in the rings.

Then each ring circuit would be happy to draw 39A limited by the 40A breaker on each leg, correct? putting a 78A total load on the contactor, this is of coarse hypothetical, I know them breakers shouldnt be put under 90%+ load for x hours etc, I just want to be sure I have a full understanding of the workings of this contractor.
Thank you for you're time.

Attachments

• [ElectriciansForums.net] Contactor---> Ring, wiring advice.
    contact.png
    436.5 KB · Views: 234
Last edited by a moderator:
A socket ring main will be 32amp max fused with rcd protection-

The contactor will be able to handle the stated current through each pole an example would be a 400v 3ph rated contactor 3pole 40Amp each phase can be loaded up to 40amps a total of 120amps loading across the poles-

If this is a hypothetical scenario it would have been simpler asking if a contactor can be loaded up to its stated rating on each pole rather than over complicate things to which the answer is yes as long as your load matches the characteristics of the contactors switching ability - i.e. resistive, inductive, mixed, high inductive.... these will be usually in the form of an AC rating like AC1 or AC3 amongst many others.

Confused.com why would you supply the contactor with two 40amp cbs?
The Hypothetical 2 x 40a mcb's are run through separate poles of the contactor to their respective loads... this is not an uncommon set-up the control circuit that energises the coil via the timer in this case is also usually a separate circuit.

My friend just tried telling me that neutral should run through the contractor, and that although my diagram should work, its not how it should be.

I said what are you talking about, both legs on the contactor are isolated and of coarse isolated from the coil, doesn't matter what i run through the legs L or N irrelevant to the contactor.

The reason i am running it like this is because I need 38A per ring, of coarse there are plug sockets on teh ring, so my obvious option would be 4mm ring circuits, I will use 10mm rated at 55A from (45A mcb's) to contactor, this means each leg will start at a 45A breaker >>>55A cable to its own leg on the 63A contractor, to a ring of 4mm, rated at 32A, which will definitely have a higher capacity than the 45A breaker.

Anything wrong here with my hypothetical scenario, PS DarkWood, I couldnt find the AC3 rating, but with a 63A AC1, rating I am 99.99% positive, it will be above 38A, It is usually 10-20% less with standard contacts.

The load is inductive but the said 38A is at induction, 38A would be the max peak on each leg in this hypothetical setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, get the picture now, neutrals omitted I presume 2 x 40 amp RFC should be 32 amp cbs can't see any obvious flaws except the size of the cbs, what controls the coil?

Reply to Contactor---> Ring, wiring advice. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net