DMX Dimmable LED Downlighters | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss DMX Dimmable LED Downlighters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparkybob1980

I'm out of my depth on this one and need help!

I have been asked by a customer to source and install some LED downlights (50W equivalent) that he wants to dim in increments of 0.5%. He's talking about somethin called DMX that he's seen at a home building show. A trip to my wholesalers was useless - they just shook their heads.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and where I can get them? And what dimmer do I need to control them?

All the best, Bob.

My customer has found this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=mhE8OylBdAI

After a bit of digging I've found this kit online but it would be about £885 for eight downlights. Is this reasonable?
Is anyone aware of anything like this but at sensible money?

Cheers, Bob.

Send me a PM..... you could say I've rather got the T-Shirt on this one! However, your client has been sold a turkey if he thinks he'll be about to spot .5% incremements on LED (or even tungsten!). 5% after the first 30%, maybe.

DMX is a digital control system that sends a stream of values between 0 - 256 (0% - 100%), in up to 512 channels at a time (put incredibly simply). So, one digital controller can operate up to 512 channels of lighting (going even more simple!).

Right!

If your client wants to replicate that video, then they will need to have deep pockets. Because - you've got n number of fixtures (you say 8, fair enough). I'm going to guess that each individual fixture needs at least 4 channels of DMX (and probably more like 5 or 6) so you then need a way of outputting 32 ch's or more of DMX (not hard) but in a programmable way, which means that you need a) a clever controller and b) experience in programming. Or of course it might be that the manufacturer sells a custom controller anyway.

There's a company in Cambridge called Pulsar ( PULSAR - DMX LED Lighting and Lighting Control System for Entertainment and Architecture ) who make a range of LED products which might suit you instead, but don't expect any change from a grand at least.

Guys, I'm more than happy to help on this one (and that's NOT a sales pitch!) and give you a hand, Gloucester is well within my reach (I used to live south of Cirencester and work in Cheltenham) - you just need to ask.

Just had a REALLY quick look, and yes, Collingwood do enough product to be able to put something together, but it's not individually addressable lights, it's every light the same.

Hi

Worked with this before, my last job was an AV Tech, You could use a company called Anolis. From whatever controller you use take a Cat5e cable to one of their ArcPower units they have a DMX in and DMX out and LED. The dmx out means you can link to another unit if needed or go to a dmx splitter unit. The led port in cat5e goes to you led so pretty simple. With the splitter you can go direct from the arc power to splitter then do multi runs.

hope it makes sense, if you go on there website below it will give you an idea of what they do. All diagrams are in their user manuals in ArcPower.

ANOLIS - LEaDing lighting solutions

Pm me if you need any more help

chris

I'm out of my depth on this one and need help!

I have been asked by a customer to source and install some LED downlights (50W equivalent) that he wants to dim in increments of 0.5%. He's talking about somethin called DMX that he's seen at a home building show. A trip to my wholesalers was useless - they just shook their heads.

Does anyone know if such a thing exists, and where I can get them? And what dimmer do I need to control them?

All the best, Bob.

I'm a recent conscript (or should that be convict?) on this forum....:)
Your question might have already been resolved.

A division of the company I work for manufactures lighting controllers. Lots of them. Mainly for the commercial sector - hotels, theatres, opera houses......

It isn't really my bag but if you haven't had an answer or need more information I could maybe get you contact details of someone who might be able to help if you ping me a PM - I'm reluctant to give details in open forum. It might be construed as advertising and other forums see that in a dim light - no pun intended.

Re: DMX / SPI Dimmable LED Downlighters

My customer finally got fed up with my dithering and ordered the kit himself!

What strikes me is that you don't get a lot for your money, a touch screen, a power supply, a green box and some downlights with daisy-chain connectors (too short for practical installations, I had to extend them). I'm not sure how it works but it does, each light responds individually and there are sweeps pre-programmed in.

The dowlights are labeled 'SPI', I don't know what this has to do with DMX but there are no DIP switches go God knows how they work and self-address. Good job my customer knows what he's buying!

Anyway, thanks all for your help. I am sure to be back as my customer is renovating his whole house and you can probably tell it's all witchcraft to me.....

I'm a recent conscript (or should that be convict?) on this forum....:)
Your question might have already been resolved.

A division of the company I work for manufactures lighting controllers. Lots of them. Mainly for the commercial sector - hotels, theatres, opera houses......

It isn't really my bag but if you haven't had an answer or need more information I could maybe get you contact details of someone who might be able to help if you ping me a PM - I'm reluctant to give details in open forum. It might be construed as advertising and other forums see that in a dim light - no pun intended.

Re: DMX / SPI Dimmable LED Downlighters

My customer finally got fed up with my dithering and ordered the kit himself!

What strikes me is that you don't get a lot for your money, a touch screen, a power supply, a green box and some downlights with daisy-chain connectors (too short for practical installations, I had to extend them). I'm not sure how it works but it does, each light responds individually and there are sweeps pre-programmed in.

The dowlights are labeled 'SPI', I don't know what this has to do with DMX but there are no DIP switches go God knows how they work and self-address. Good job my customer knows what he's buying!

Anyway, thanks all for your help. I am sure to be back as my customer is renovating his whole house and you can probably tell it's all witchcraft to me.....

he might be able to teach you a thing or two

Reply to DMX Dimmable LED Downlighters in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net