Currently reading:
Dodgy PME?

Discuss Dodgy PME? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, wondering if anyone can help me. Came across an installation that doesn't appear to have any means of earthing at the intake
20240617_131219.jpg
. Some work has been done to run power to a garden workshop and the earth to this has just been terminated in with the neutral AFTER the meter.....is this allowed?? It doesn't feel right to me but can anyone quote a reg to back this up?? Thanks for the help.

Hi, wondering if anyone can help me. Came across an installation that doesn't appear to have any means of earthing at the intakeView attachment 116962. Some work has been done to run power to a garden workshop and the earth to this has just been terminated in with the neutral AFTER the meter.....is this allowed?? It doesn't feel right to me but can anyone quote a reg to back this up?? Thanks for the help.

Looks creative! Is there no earth conductor in the Wylex CU at all?

In a fixed installation, a single conductor may serve both as a protective conductor and as a neutral conductor (pen conductor) provided that the requirements of 543.4 are satisfied. no switching or isolating device shall be inserted in the pen conductor.

NOTE: regulation 8(4) of the electrical safety, quality and continuity regulations prohibits the use of pen conductors in consumers installations.

I read that as the consumers installation begins at the origin of supply (service head) the meter is part of the consumers installation, even if (as is likely) it is not owned by the consumer.

one thing is for sure the cable from the meter onwards is definitely part of the consumers installation and as per reg. above cannot be a PEN conductor.

I also have a funny feeling that the "electrician" that fitted the additional consumer unit has forgotten to put a nice label on it that says
INSTALLED WITH PRIDE BY
ABC Electrical contractors
0122 123 1234

and the certificate will be in the post when you have paid this bill with cash.

It's also possible that whoever fitted the MK removed an up front RCD or VOELCB that was in the way.
Worth a look to see if there is a likely looking earth conductor in the Wylex.

Ultimately this is all going one of two ways:
-DNO may deign to supply an earth (free if you are very lucky, or more likely for a fee)
-or it needs an earth rod, and RCDs for fault protection

542.1.2.2 For a TN-C-S system, where protective multiple earthing is provided, means shall be provided for the
main earthing terminal of the installation to be connected by the distributor to the neutral of the source of energy.

Thanks people, all good advice. I only went to do a quote as the customer was worried that the 'electrician' might have only been a builder and wanted me to check it. I've requested a PME terminal at the cutout which Northern Power Grid normally do for free if they deem it suitable so fingers crossed! I haven't taken the front off the Wylex so there could well be an earth cable to a rod in there....couldn't see any sign of one outside the house so it'll be fun trying to find that :)

Reply to Dodgy PME? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net