Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! | Page 229 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Arms
Reaction score
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

And the bus bar shield….

You see that switch to the left? Over there… half brown, half blue?? You want to get a good grip of that and flick it down…. Then lock it off!
There are two other CUs hanging off that though.
What I do find shocking is that a smart meter was fitted last year.

There are two other CUs hanging off that though.
What I do find shocking is that a smart meter was fitted last year.
Meters fitters will just fit the new meter , they don't even look at the existing consumer unit or its condition , not their job

Meters fitters will just fit the new meter , they don't even look at the existing consumer unit or its condition , not their job
The meter is about a foot away you couldn't help but see the condition of that CU they also fitted the isolator, in my book they should have refused the connection to at least that CU.

“Can you come have a look at my electrics? I’ve had no power since this morning…”

I pulled the fuse, nothing left of it.
The yellow taped up cable is lead, everything else is pvc.

This is what’s under the tape.

Looks like it’s been damaged in the past, and someone has tried to link the lead with a bit of earth wire.

I’m getting 40ohms between the lead sheath and the red core.
Repair I think is possible, full rewire is cost prohibitive for the 80 year old customer, but I will be recommending a rewire of that circuit and a new board, smoke detectors as needed.

At least with most of that CU missing you could see that a mix of manufacturers had been used. 🤔
I think the mixed manufactures are the least of the problems.

The lack of any 6 amp circuit is a concern.

I'm trying to find the time to get back there, atm.

Is the yellow tape hiding rat/mice damage?
Only if the mice can eat through lead.

I took the tape off and exposed the second photograph.
Customer did say there was mice, so I might find chewed pvc somewhere.
Not sure if this damaged lead is the actual cause of the fuse blowing… maybe it’s just held for so long, and she’s knocked it one too many times with the hoover.

Ok, I suggested I might repair the lead sheathed cable…. But I can’t find any product that could successfully do it…. Or lead sheath to pvc t&e joint

Purely as a stop-gap temporary repair until I can rewire this particular length.

Ok, I suggested I might repair the lead sheathed cable…. But I can’t find any product that could successfully do it…. Or lead sheath to pvc t&e joint

Purely as a stop-gap temporary repair until I can rewire this particular length.
You might be able to connect to the lead sheath CPC using a constant force spring and some tinned copper braid wrapped around it first.

I guess there once was a gland for that sort of cable to connect to the outer but can't say I have sever seen on the the flesh. I have a vague idea that some 20mm conduit fittings had such a clamp setup.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks