Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! | Page 399 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Darkwood

Arms
Reaction score
Right ... Just been nudged to set this up by Paul.M and sounds a good idea following recent threads I've done in the Arms..

Rules....No Offensive material... edit if required before posting as this is the public arena.
Anything to do with the trade or in and around it ...H&S pic's welcome.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

I've posted this a few times and this is at a mates house following a kitchen refirb several yrs ago. :eek:mg_smile:

[ElectriciansForums.net] Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views!

Second time in as many weeks I’ve encountered a pipe jockey trying to make my life difficult.

10/10 for ingenuity but I don’t recall that being a recognised method to earth the armour of SWA. In case you can’t see it. They had cut all bar 6 strands and terminated them into the earth terminal on the switched fused spur. 🙄

I had to decommission this as it was supplying a workshop running a table saw, pillar drill, lathe, dust extraction system as well as the usual lights and sockets. Funny enough it kept blowing the 13A fuse.

Fortunately there was an unused cooker circuit that I was able to use to supply power to the workshop instead. And I glanded the armour properly! 😂

As part of a quick 'refurb' (ie changing socket fronts) for a client, I did what I thought would be a simple extend surface socket (on RFC) from skirting up to flush in wall above.

Tugged the cables to get extra length, and this appeared from beneath the floor:

Not only were the wires just twisted together and taped over, they also managed to add the two new cables feeding the socket as a figure of 8 from the existing RFC🤦‍♂️

Just goes to show - would not have been detected by testing when I get to changing the board, unless I'd done a ring continuity test at this specific socket, which would have been 0.001 I'd guess...

R1+R2 might have been a little different than on the rest of the ring, but likely not enough to throw up a concern.

I bet the seller has similar morels to the guy that popped round at 3am and “borrowed “ my cordless drill from the boot of my pickup.

One I saw today, client lost the cover about 5 years ago.

This fella is truly unbelievable.

After testing I told the client aka idiot that there are so many faults that I need to leave some circuits disconnected and would return as there is no way i can finish this in the time slot i allowed to do the job.

To give you some idea there were 2 more CUs one for the kitchen and one for an extension that his daughter lives in I told him there was no need especially for the daughter's as it was one radial and one lighting circuit and that i would also look at getting rid of the kitchen CU as i now had space to combine them in one CU hence the need get some more rcbos.

Also, when testing the ring there were no ends to ends except for the line, but that was coming out on one of the other CUs.

So disconnected that part, temporarily downgraded the rcbo etc and said I would return.

I text him today saying that I have the bits and would return tomorrow, get a reply saying this:

"I've got some rcbos the same as, so the box now done, the other Cu is gone I just need a contact fuse that 16mm, cheers"

I find out that he's done all the wiring himself over the years, and it's a renter the landlord has been wanting an eicr on the place, no mention of payment either.

Something really unusual has happened to me and that Is Ive been left speechless. 😬

This fella is truly unbelievable.

After testing I told the client aka idiot that there are so many faults that I need to leave some circuits disconnected and would return as there is no way i can finish this in the time slot i allowed to do the job.

To give you some idea there were 2 more CUs one for the kitchen and one for an extension that his daughter lives in I told him there was no need especially for the daughter's as it was one radial and one lighting circuit and that i would also look at getting rid of the kitchen CU as i now had space to combine them in one CU hence the need get some more rcbos.

Also, when testing the ring there were no ends to ends except for the line, but that was coming out on one of the other CUs.

So disconnected that part, temporarily downgraded the rcbo etc and said I would return.

I text him today saying that I have the bits and would return tomorrow, get a reply saying this:

"I've got some rcbos the same as, so the box now done, the other Cu is gone I just need a contact fuse that 16mm, cheers"

I find out that he's done all the wiring himself over the years, and it's a renter the landlord has been wanting an eicr on the place, no mention of payment either.

Something really unusual has happened to me and that Is Ive been left speechless. 😬

I do love trying to fix DIY jobs! I'd tell the landlord the price will be double. Half to conduct the work and half because you've had to fix stupid!

I do love trying to fix DIY jobs! I'd tell the landlord the price will be double. Half to conduct the work and half because you've had to fix stupid!
It wasn't the landlord that hired me it was this idiot I only found out it's a renter through someone else.

I won't be going back, that's for sure, but I'm around £400 down.

Reply to Dodgy trade pictures for your amusement! - 1 Million Views! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back