Domestic or Commercial | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic or Commercial in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

E

eagleeye

Hi have been asked if I can carry out PIR's on a residential home but am only registered as a Domestic Installer. Am i right in thinking that this work would come under Commerical property ?

hmmm. as the nursing home is a business, you would think commercial, but people reside there, so therefore it's a dwelling, so domestic.take your pick. as durham says, though, if it's 3 phase, make sure your insurance covers you.

Hi have been asked if I can carry out PIR's on a residential home but am only registered as a Domestic Installer. Am i right in thinking that this work would come under Commerical property ?

If you take it on, make sure you have indemnity insurance and don't forget to pay attention to Electricity, Safety, Quality and Continuity regulations 2002 (as amended) see GN3. If your unsure let an experienced Tester carry it out.

I carried a batch of pir's for a local authority and I wrote up a thorough report and attached quite a lot of test sheets for each court, it was quite involved.

Be careful this is probably an insurance originated PIR and they would normally insist on you being part of a scheme, and most likely they would insist on NICEIC.

It is classed as commercial.

Just to clarify, you are able to carry out a PIR on any class of installation as long as you are competent to do so, that is the proviso as far as BS7671 goes.

City & Guilds 2391 would assist in proving competence.

The other points made are good, PI insurance, PL insurance are a must.

Scheme membership may be a client stipulation but that's all.

Mind you, even having the insurance, you get it wrong and your have no cover and it could cost you big. That's where the 2391 plays it part with the expertise and experience.

Ive worked with some hot testers over the years and its surprising how little I knew compared to them :eek:

IQ you know its your game :D

Mind you, even having the insurance, you get it wrong and your have no cover and it could cost you big. That's where the 2391 plays it part with the expertise and experience.

Ive worked with some hot testers over the years and its surprising how little I knew compared to them :eek:

IQ you know its your game :D

Yes, it's my game and I think it's one of the most abused parts of our industry, whether intentionally or not.

From regulations that don't exist to obvious defects that are overlooked due to lack of knowledge, it's frightening!

Yes, it's my game and I think it's one of the most abused parts of our industry, whether intentionally or not.

From regulations that don't exist to obvious defects that are overlooked due to lack of knowledge, it's frightening!

That's the thing mate, people make statements that can not be backed with any substance from BS7671 ie those rewireable fuses are illegal lol

All to do with lack of knowledge, experience, qualifications and so on, and they want the £££ and someone in return wants a report to say the installation is in a satisfactory condition, because the insurance needs a cert asap.

Mate the truth is, the industry is fooked out and nothing will change that now, not in my life time, nor yours lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Domestic or Commercial in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net