domestic radial | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss domestic radial in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ze is done at the origin of the installation with either a 2 lead or 3 lead test using an earth fault loop impedance tester with the installation turned off and the earth disconnected to eliminate parallel paths. PFC is similar (meter on different setting) but with all potential parallel paths in place (ie earth reconnected).

You don't have to measure PFC (PSSC) on a radial circuit (unless it's a distribution circuit).

Not sure why you need to measure Ze on a radial (unless as above), but you could do a loop test to find out Zs then do a continuity test find out (R1 + R2)
Then
Ze = Zs - (R1+R2)

Disconnect the main earthing conductor at the MET and using an earth fault loop impedence tester connect to the line supply side and to your disconnected main earth and carry out your Ze test.

For PFC you need to test PEFC (prospective earth fault current) and PSCC (prospective short circuit current). To test PEFC you must connect line/earth supply side, to test for PSCC you connect line/neutral. Record your highest result.

Last edited by a moderator:
If its a TNCS system you can also calculate the PFC as the neutral of the supply is used as a protective earth and neutral (PEN). When you have obtained your EFLI, you can convert it to PSCC by using the following equation:

PSCC = V/Ze = I

for example if your Ze is measured at 0.37: 230/0.37 = 621.6 amps

you did

For PFC you need to test PEFC (prospective earth fault current) and PSCC (prospective short circuit current). To test PEFC you must connect line/earth, set tester to "no trip" if RCD is present, to test for PSCC you connect line/neutral, again, "no trip" if RCD is present. Record your highest result.

don't worry. the man who never made a mistake , never made anything. i nce fittede 12 halogen floods on a driveway of a posh house, then lamped them up with 110v lamps. was like chinese crackers.

I was working in a conference center in Brighton once and a bloke wired up ALL the 12v halogen spotlight transformers in the main hall back to front. That was a hell of a show when those got turned on. I've never seen so many grown men scream. Lol.

Reply to domestic radial in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net