Domestic Ventilation Installer | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Domestic Ventilation Installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Rockingit

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
V.Nearly Esteemed
Reaction score
Having been asked now twice in as many months for certs on mechanical extraction in new builds, I've done some reading up and everyday is a school day.

Hands up all those (like me) who never knew that since the 2010 version of Part F, installation of ordinary ventilation fans on new builds (yes, the normal 4" bathroom ones) is now notifiable work, for which there is a BPEC course and qualification??!

So now, in addition to the annual fees, calibration of MFT etc, we now need to use some sort of other approved scheme (or bolt-on) and have annually calibrated air extraction meters as well.

Anyone with any words of wisdom before I launch out finding a course and some kit?

I've not heard of it but that doesn't mean much.....I aint heard of a lot of things..lol
I dont really have anything to with new builds but should I ever get involved with them on a regular basis, I'm sure there will be a lot more things like this that I didn't but should know about.

Am I understanding this correctly? For domestic bathroom extraction you need to measure air velocities with an anemometer or a pitot tester? Isn't a domestic installation generally either a fan in a window or wall with a discharge louver or a ceiling fan with a short flexible duct? Don't the manufacturers state the capability of the fans in cubes per hour on the instruction booklet and can't you calc the static pressure across a couple of meter of flex duct and a louver and refer to the output graph for an approximate volume?

*Edit* Just realised that post consisted of nothing but questions.

Well, I got asked it on a new build estate I've just done in Somerset (managed to duck around it!) but it's just come up today on another new build in Devon I've been doing, so different authorities and people are asking for the same thing - appears it's happening peeps!

And yes, from what I can make out you CAN'T use manufacturers data, you do actually need to use the proper kit and take proper measurements.

From my reading of Part F these requirements are enshrined in the BR , more hundreds of pounds to spend on a calibrated anemometer and proprietary hood just to measure a carefully designed and installed piece of equipment.
I can see that for a whole house ventilation system that this would be appropriate but for fitting an extract fan that most customers will turn off anyway, really?

However it is very clear and stated in no uncertain terms that all extract fans must be tested by the approved method with the correct equipment.

The problem with very small fans, especially axials is they're very sensitive to static pressure. If somebody opens a door or window even in the adjoining room it will have a marked effect on the air volume, even the wind direction and strength on that particular day is going to have a significant effect on the performance. There's very little, if anything to be gained by using calibrated instruments to measure this airflow.

Gentlemen, fret ye not. There is no requirement to notify building control when fitting a new 4" bog fan or similar. This comes under Approved Doc. F section 3.10 Minor Works, specifically the provision of a self-contained appliance where testing and adjustment is not possible or would not affect its energy efficiency.

I did the BPEC Part F qual about a year ago. Interesting, but nothing to really worry about unless you are going down the whole house ventilation system route. Then it's a case of stumping up for an anemometer with hood, calibration, etc...

It really only applies for new builds and if you were doing that then there would be other ventilation equipment and might be worth it.
If the only ventilation were the 4" fan then despite not having to notify BC (but it is a new build so would go through BC any way) then it would still need testing and certificating.

Reply to Domestic Ventilation Installer in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net