domestic works, to P on not to P | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss domestic works, to P on not to P in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
i would suggest you have a chat with your local council :eek:
it doesnt matter how qualified you are notifiable work is notifiable work whoever does it.
i too am fully qualified 2391, 17th blah blah but still have to pay the £425 each year to niceic to operate within the law :eek:

The last time I did domestic work was last year, so I did contact my buildings dept and asked, besides a copy of my qualifications and my inspection and rest results of the work carried out is there any thing else you need such a payment.

The answer was NO, there’s is no payment required, as we do not need to check anything, your qualifications are enough to show you are a competent person to carry out the work, your information goes on file and held here at the Building Dept.

I found out about this from the tutor on the 17th edition course.
He ran a business, which included domestic work and he did not have part P.
He said just get to know some one at your buildings dept, let them know of the work your doing then send them your inspection and test results, if your qualified you don’t realy need Part P.
And he was right.

Just the once to prove identity and quals... oh and indemnity insurance.!!

after that not sure of the ins and outs of each job.

But to be fair, even if i still have to pre-notify of carrying out work, (which i dont think i do) its no hardship.

Main thing is i'm not forking out 450 quid to NIC at the moment, and im complying with Part P for a reasonable price.

I dont have the NIC badge on the van at the moment, but at my stage of the game im not that bothered.!

I agree and i am all for saving money, especially at the moment, its just that i would not feel happy about relying on a local council.

Another problem is when you work a few miles away where its a different council, they may not be so accommodating.

I regularly work between 3 different counties and doing it this way would prove to be a real headache, because it only needs one that wont accept quals only.

I agree with Jason on this.Will they back you up in court if the customer brings charges if something happens.My opinion is that they are getting £30 for sitting on their a**e and you mention they may randomly check 1 of your jobs.Not slagging you off mate about your ability but it seems to me another Govt incentive to make money.They probably get paid extra if they have to leave the office and this is a way of saving and making money:eek:

The last time I did domestic work was last year, so I did contact my buildings dept and asked, besides a copy of my qualifications and my inspection and rest results of the work carried out is there any thing else you need such a payment.

The answer was NO, there’s is no payment required, as we do not need to check anything, your qualifications are enough to show you are a competent person to carry out the work, your information goes on file and held here at the Building Dept.

I found out about this from the tutor on the 17th edition course.
He ran a business, which included domestic work and he did not have part P.
He said just get to know some one at your buildings dept, let them know of the work your doing then send them your inspection and test results, if your qualified you don’t realy need Part P.
And he was right.
who issues the building notice that accompanies the eic that you have filled out then :confused:
not sure how you would stand proving it complies with building regs should something go wrong without that certificate :eek:
i am also registered with my local authority as an approved electrician but that doesnt give me the right to carry out notifiable work free of charge

Last edited:

Reply to domestic works, to P on not to P in the Domestic Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net