downlight flex | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss downlight flex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Sparky_Ben

what type of flex do you guys use for downlighter wiring, obviously just from the loop in, loop out JB, down to the fitting, now i know it will have to be high temperature/ heat resistant but what would the cable code be to look for in the catalogues,

thanks

I've never seen a manufacturer request it to be wired in flex. And I don't really see the need if it's a decent fitting designed to be wired into. As your just putting a unnecessary joint in. If you had to have jbs above each light I would probably use flex. I just think its easier and better to limit jbs.

I'm just doing a kitchen where the ceiling void has underfloor heating in it as well, so it's heat flex all the way from the switch onwards.

I've seen too many examples of T+E burnt out against downlighter body for my liking. So IMHO it's T+E to Ashley 501 JB (or similar 17th ed compliant JB) then heat resistant flex to downlighter.

Yes i do, fed up with trying to get 2 x 1.5mm T&e cables in that tiny little joint box!

I've seen too many examples of T+E burnt out against downlighter body for my liking. So IMHO it's T+E to Ashley 501 JB (or similar 17th ed compliant JB) then heat resistant flex to downlighter.

True, but I still think it's best practice.
Whereabouts in Cornwall are you?

Take it then none of you have used the click fittings then, they are designed fro 2 2.5mm T&Es to loop in loop out. no risk of melting cables

Reply to downlight flex in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net