driling through a lintel? | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss driling through a lintel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

HappyHippyDad

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Evening all...

[ElectriciansForums.net] driling through a lintel? [ElectriciansForums.net] driling through a lintel?

I have been asked to fit an outside socket just outside the front door (on the small bit of brickwork you can see in the first picture).

It is very close to the CU so no problems there, but I am am not sure about the route to the socket from the CU.

Not having a great deal of experience on site I have not been around many builders so am unsure of the construction of lintels and if they are possible to drill through.

My thoughts are:

If it's steel I wont be getting through it.
If it's concrete, it must be pretty strong concrete otherwise its not doing it's job as a lintel so again tough to get through.
Should I be drilling through a lintel in the first place?
How high is a standard lintel, could I drill above above it (below ceiling level)?

It actually sounds hollow when I tap the bit above the door from the inside, but thats just giving me false hope as there has to be a lintel there?

Outside is a hollow porch covering. The second picture shows this (although this is actually next door so the picture looks the wrong way around).

I'd appreciate any advice on what you guys would do to get that cable out there?

we are talking about domestic here.

Yes, what of it?

Metal lintels are used for openings which have face brickwork on one side or both as they aren't visible on the face side unlike concrete would be.

Concrete are used on single skin walls where both sides are plastered.

Concrete are used below ground level for going over soil pipes etc where they pass through below the level of the over-site concrete.

They are each used for their specific properties, structural engineers don't choose lintels based on price!

Yes, what of it?

Metal lintels are used for openings which have face brickwork on one side or both as they aren't visible on the face side unlike concrete would be.

Concrete are used on single skin walls where both sides are plastered.

Concrete are used below ground level for going over soil pipes etc where they pass through below the level of the over-site concrete.

They are each used for their specific properties, structural engineers don't choose lintels based on price!

Concrete lintels ('boot' type) were commonly used in the 70s for cavity walls. Daz

Reply to driling through a lintel? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net