Earthing flexible water pipe | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Earthing flexible water pipe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Nimonic

DIY
Reaction score
Hi All, I'm not an electrician (this will soon become apparent), but I am a homeowner with an electrical query. Several years back I had a bathroom renovation done, which amongst other things, resulted in some copper pipe suppling my basin to be replaced with flexible hose. The earthing/bonding clamps that were originally connected to the copper were left unattached as there is essentially no copper pipe exposed to which they can be attached. I've attached a photo. Is there anything that needs to be done to correct this?
Thanks in Advance.

[ElectriciansForums.net] Earthing flexible water pipe

If all the electrics in the bathroom are protected by RCD's or RCBO's, then you no longer need supplementary bonding.

Why are the flexible tails scorched by heat? Its not like theres any soldered joints there?

If all the electrics in the bathroom are protected by RCD's or RCBO's, then you no longer need supplementary bonding.

Why are the flexible tails scorched by heat? Its not like theres any soldered joints there?
OK, thanks for the input.

I don't think that's heat damage, although I've not lived in this property for some time. It feels like rust/corrosion on the braiding. Could well do with being replaced.

you might be right about rust....

can you confirm if the bathroom electrics are rcd protected?

Supplementary bonding was the norm several years (decades) ago... when every piece of metal was linked together with 4mm earth wire... from the light fitting, radiators, shower, hot and cold at bath, hot and cold at basin and even the bath itself if it was cast iron.... Some even took it to aluminium window frames....

Nowadays, with the increase in use of plastic water pipes and fittings, along with the RCD's... its no longer a requirement

you might be right about rust....

can you confirm if the bathroom electrics are rcd protected?

Supplementary bonding was the norm several years (decades) ago... when every piece of metal was linked together with 4mm earth wire... from the light fitting, radiators, shower, hot and cold at bath, hot and cold at basin and even the bath itself if it was cast iron.... Some even took it to aluminium window frames....

Nowadays, with the increase in use of plastic water pipes and fittings, along with the RCD's... its no longer a requirement
There's a fixed RCD on the consumer unit with test button. I'm assuming it covers all the circuits (this is a small flat) but I need to do a bit of homework on how all that works. I appreciate the input though.

There's a fixed RCD on the consumer unit with test button. I'm assuming it covers all the circuits
If there's no main switch on the CU, then the RCD is doubling up as the main switch and everything is protected by it. If there is a main switch and MCBs between it and the RCD, then one or more circuits served by the MCBs at the main switch end of the row probably aren't protected.

Reply to Earthing flexible water pipe in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net