Earthing | Page 4 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyste1

Hi all, in December 2012 I subbed for a company and following there instructions I was sent t a job to do a consumer unit change and gas/water bonding. upon my arrival and inspection, I found the bonding to already be present and correct in 10mm. The old /unit was metal clad with metal conduit running off to feed the circuits. Due to the new c/u being pvc I placed a bonding clamp on each of the conduit and earthed as appropriate from the consumer units earthing block. The conduit was the earthing supply hence my clamps and re earthing the conduit.
Can anyone please let me know if this was sufficient????

Customer had just moved in and was renovating, they have recently had another sparky n and within 20mins of being on site he has said my work is wrong.
I gave the completed cert to the company I subbed to a have now found out they have not issued it to the customer (believe they might have lost it). I noted on the cert of the renovations as light fittings were hanging due to plastering and painting being done. I now have no proof of this...

Advise please....

It's surprising how many fittings requiring earthing, usually from DIY stores, that you come across that aren't. I'm pretty sure instructions are clear regarding it, but perhaps there should be explanation of 'why', and put it in the bit they have to read or look at!!!
One I recall was fitted over an old batten base, using existing L & N conductors that went to old lamp holder. 'Who fitted this?' 'Ahh my husband. He's pretty good with that sort of stuff as he's a BT (or other phone Co.!) engineer'!!

Edit; re. recent posts, cider is equally effective!

Well , I was part way through a bottle and I thought I better take a look on here and see whats on the menu tonight , and drink always brings out the best in me , so all likes should go to the maker of this fine whiskey HIC

And there was me thinking you were just enjoying yourself nibbling your Popcorn while watching us all wallowing in the mire.

As for the whiskey I have a full unopened bottle that has been here since Christmas but because of all the health hassles I'm having I can't drink. I tell you; I'm looking at it like the one-eyed cat at the fishmonger's window.

A better idea is to have somebody elses company name embroidered onto your clothing. ;)
Bloke I've just started subbing for, called in on site today and dropped off four very nicely embroidered company polo shirts for me. Guess the first week went o.k. then, considering it was a a bank holiday and it's only Thursday.

Last edited by a moderator:
And there was me thinking you were just enjoying yourself nibbling your Popcorn while watching us all wallowing in the mire.

As for the whiskey I have a full unopened bottle that has been here since Christmas but because of all the health hassles I'm having I can't drink. I tell you; I'm looking at it like the one-eyed cat at the fishmonger's window.

Never mind mate get well soon its there ready for you when you're well

Don't be too harsh on the poor lad - it's what I believe his gaffer told him to fit and we know what some gaffers are don't we? ;)

Perhaps the phrase 'grow a pair' could be applied here.

I've never yet lost a job due to my putting the gaffer right about the errors in his plan/spec or whatever.

Have to be careful though, I watched a plumber try to follow my lead. He rather foolishly lost his temper and used the famous 'if you don't change this I'm leaving' the boss said 'I'll get your p45 ready' :D

The key thing is to know exactly what you want to achieve, how to manipulate the boss and of course never losing your temper.

Reply to Earthing in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net