EICR price | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss EICR price in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi,

Just lost out on a fairly large EICR, over a thousand circuits.

Contractor 1s price was 44,000
My firms price came in at 37,000 - this was priced on a per circuit basis plus digs ect...

Another came in at 15,000!

Obviously the client went for the cheapest.

Interested to know if anyone else has had any similar issues? There's no way we could compete with them and do the job properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi,

Just lost out on a fairly large EICR, over a thousand circuits.

Contractor 1s price was 44,000
My firms price came in at 37,000 - this was priced on a per circuit basis plus digs ect...

Cannings cane in at 15,000!

Obviously the client went for the cheapest.

Interested to know if anyone else has had any similar issues? There's no way we could compete with them and do the job properly.
Obviously £15 a circuit is not viable if done properly and I suspect they are relying on a hefty amount of remedial work to come out of the contract.

My firm used to do this with large contract work but that is a little different because the client really can't go elsewhere so we used to make loads of money on the variations. This is far riskier because of course the client if savvy can have remedials done by other parties or certainly shop around for prices. Then again by bundling this together I would assume the client probably wouldn't want the hassle of this, unless you went stupid rip off prices with the remedials.

What range of numbers typically come up in EICR contracts like this? Maybe your firm could go that approach and on a smaller contract they could take the gamble on it to get a feel for it in terms of remedials but currently as a one man band I don't have the necessary experience here to make a judgment on this, maybe others could comment on the amount of remedials you would typically get at this sort of scale.

Maybe your firm had already factored in a certain amount of remedials to come out of it, in that case sometimes you just have to stick to the price and let someone else break themselves with it.

Last edited:
It doesn't take a blind man on a galloping horse to see there is some wide variation in those figures and going with the lower figure you might not get what you expect.
A 1000 circuits is a big site that could easily have 40 - 100 DB's as well to document if there are no documents available that is a bigger job to tackle tracing circuits, after that how does the client verify that the tests have been done and not just copied with the figures slightly "massaged" from the last EICR (seen it done a a few sites)

I assume this was quoted from a specification detailed or otherwise supplied by the client so they have some yardstick to compare the quotes. I would expect that the client has or will carry out due diligence

I suppose there is a fine line between how many limitations you can throw into a credible EICR and how much remedial work you might generate to offset the low price, £15,000 might be a good deal for 250 tested circuits

£15 per circuit , you must be having a laugh. I worked for a big company in London and we did PIR s on massive office buildings . factories , hospitals etc and even back in the 1990s they charged about £20 per circuit.

We priced it at £22 per circuits with digs ect and a small buffer on top. 22 is low in my opinion.

Their price works out at £12 per circuit.

We simply cannot compete

Even on the old report, it's clear that they have only done live tests and reverse calculated from there.

The problem is with EICR's that if you are given a copy of the previous report it is all to easy to not do your own homework and copy someone else's
If you were given the circuit schedules without any past results so you were forced to test and once complete the new report was then compared with the old it would give a more accurate overview of the installation as the option to copy past results isn't an available.
While there is the requirement for dutyholders to meet the legislation there is very little guidance out there on how to order, read, understand and indemnify themselves when requesting an EICR.
As an example how many clients actually have a full and proper understanding of the limitations they are being asked to agree to, or what a %age inspection really means

At what point will it be made a requirement to use an MFT that records all the tests time and date stamped that have been carried out and the download appended to the report, in the case of the OP if the client made it a requirement of the contract it would get rid of any wriggle room as all the agreed tests would need to be done and couldn't be fudged

The thing a lot of these inspection operatives don't seem to realise is when they put their name and signature on an EICR they are potentially providing evidence for the prosecution should an incident occur

A firm who I used to work for a few years back used to price it at 20 minutes a circuit, so 3 an hour, a thousand circuits would be 330 hours, I never liked this but it was competitive around here at the time, no idea what they charge today.

Reply to EICR price in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net