Electric underfloor heating fixing methods | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Electric underfloor heating fixing methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkyork

Hi all, not posted for a while so her goes...

tomorrow im installing 30m sq of loose electric underfloor heating cable.

im not new to installing the stuff but do much prefer the matt style system.

With it been such a big area I want to make sure it doesn't start lifting when it's sat for a few days before it gets self levelled over the top.

I've got a ck telecoms cable style staple gun and I'm thinking do using this as it's into tile backer board so shouldn't squeeze to hard on the cable, and I'd consider ufh cable to be stronger than bt cable?

thoughts or experiences appreciated

cheers

rich

Right ye Southern poofter lampy boy!!

That's the last time ye'l be gettin' a "like" or a "Thanks" from me!!!!:laugh:

The HOURS I've lost hanging around waiting for you prima-donner jessies to get yer trusses up in the air before I can get my lads on stage to stack 'n' rig the back line you wouldn't believe!!

Once upon a time there were two riggers sitting on too of a truss when a lampy appeared below them in the bucket of his cherry picker. Rigger one says to the other 'I wonder what would happen if I bashed him on the head until half of his brain cells had died?'
So he grabs his podger (ooo err missus) and wallops the lampy on the head, the lampy shrugs and carries on.
The rigger decides to repeat the exercise and this goes on until the lampy has only two brain cells left.
The rigger decides to try this one last time and sets to work with his podger again.
As soon as that lampy is reduced to having one brain cell left he lowers his cherry picker, gets out and goes to stand behind the FOH desk and begins to twiddle pots and faders.
And this yet another bloody Prima Donna sound engineer is born!

Neither of which should be used for sticking cables down.

In the civilised world we use LE-Mark mag tape or mag tape extra. It's BBC specification for sticking cables down dontcha know ;)

The BBC?? ............ Them poofters'll be using it to clag their boyfriends to the bed prior to using a bit more of it to deprive said boyfriends of their bodily hair.

Interesting information !
The kit I've got comes with 10mm wide duct tape, and always ends up lifting somewhere, quite like the double sided tape with skrim, sounds like it'll look like a neat install

Make sure you take your resistance readings of the wire. I would even take a photo of the reading with the taped down wire in the background. You don't know how careful other trades will be when they do their bit with their size elevens! Cover your own arse mate

Interesting information !
The kit I've got comes with 10mm wide duct tape, and always ends up lifting somewhere, quite like the double sided tape with skrim, sounds like it'll look like a neat install

What ive done before on a screeded floor was to use spray adhesive then stick the gaffer tape to that. It was the only was to keep it in place.

Not having any experience of underfloor electric heating installations, do these systems work very well?? How do they compare with say a conventional boiler/radiator system or even a hot water (wet) underfloor heating system. Are they considered as economical heating system??

Just asking as a matter of interest/curiosity really...

Not having any experience of underfloor electric heating installations, do these systems work very well?? How do they compare with say a conventional boiler/radiator system or even a hot water (wet) underfloor heating system. Are they considered as economical heating system??

Just asking as a matter of interest/curiosity really...

As Tel said,feet warmers only.
I did a large hi-spec kitchen some years back which on the clients insistance was fitted with 9kw of UFH. It wasnt long before he was complaining of very high leccy bills,there's a surprise.

eng., they'e good for keeping your bare feet warm when getting out the bath. that's about it.

That was my thought, i'm sceptical of wet underfloor central heating systems too, but never having experienced them, i can't say anything one way or the other. I know they were the ''in thing'' on middle range new builds in the late 90's but you don't seem to hear too much of them now...

That was my thought, i'm sceptical of wet underfloor central heating systems too, but never having experienced them, i can't say anything one way or the other. I know they were the ''in thing'' on middle range new builds in the late 90's but you don't seem to hear too much of them now...

The wet U/F systems DO work,but ONLY when as part of a properties construction,the bulk of which being hi-spec,well fitted insulation.

These systems succeed or fail,on the insulation/ventilation methods,and to skimp on those,is to set the U/F up,for a failure.

So many times,i have seen big money,top spec U/F being installed,with no thought or expense,directed to the rest of the building,and as for the other trades attitude to the subject of insulation...don't get me started...we are 30 years behind other european builders.

As a point of interest,my folks house,built in 1963,was constructed with "state of the art" electric U/F downstairs,in concrete floors.

It still functions,is efficient,and does not cost the earth (off peak timer),we had an open coal fire downstairs,and no heating upstairs till was in my teens.......nobody lost extremities....:icon12:

I got called to wire up a y plan system that also has 3 separate 'wet' underfloor heating zones. Unfortunately the plumber couldn't remember which solenoid controlled which zone, and the boiler was not going to be commissioned until 2 days later (needed the gas feed upgrading). So I wired it up and told them to call me back if I didn't guess the correct floor stat with the correct zone.
9 months later.....
Got called back because one area was always too hot, a large bathroom with adjacent changing area was stifling hot just because of the wet underfloor heating, so it does work in some places (I had 2 stats swapped so they were controlling the wrong zones).

Reply to Electric underfloor heating fixing methods in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Recommended Sponsor News

Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

I am sure you will join me in welcoming our newest sponsors of ElectriciansForums.net - Quickwire! They have decided to join us after seeing you guys discussing their products here. Now we have an expert on board that you can chat to @Quickwire-Sam who will be happy to answer your queries!

[ElectriciansForums.net] Quickwire Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net

@Quickwire-Sam said "At Quickwire, we're all about speed, safety, and reliability. We're a family-run business, and every Quickwire connector is proudly made right here in the UK, ensuring noticeable quality. In short, Quickwire is the fastest connection method on the market. Whether you're an experienced electrician or a DIY enthusiast, Quickwire makes electrical connections ridiculously quick and easy. We're passionate about blending British craftsmanship with innovation. If you have any questions or if there's any way we can help, please just ask me!"

Exclusive Forum Offer! Free euro 2024 wall chart for first 10 responses!

Hi everyone,

We have 10 exclusive Uheat EURO 2024 Wallcharts to giveaway for Electricians Forum Members! The first 10 people to reply YES to this thread - I will message and get them sent out to you just in time for this years tournament! GO GO GO

PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

I hope you will all join me in welcoming our newest sponsor to the forum PCBWay! You can contact their friendly people by sending a message to @PCBWay who will be happy to answer your queries.

Welcome to the community and thanks for your sponsorship!

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

PCBWay provides services including PCB Prototype and batch Production, PCB Assembly (SMT), 3D Printing, CNC Machining, PCB Design, Electronics Modules Selling, etc. We are committed to meeting the needs of global makers from different industries in terms of quality, delivery, cost-effectiveness, and any other demanding requests in electronics.

[ElectriciansForums.net] PCBWay Now Sponsor ElectriciansForums.net!!

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back