Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! | Page 7 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DIYBlues

Hi Guys
I’m no electrician but I’m going to do some electrical work in my bathroom and understand the issues surrounding Part P and the building regulations. However I would rather be up front and say I’m still going to tackle it (although I’m not a complete novice at electrical work, replacing my Consumer Unit a few years ago and rewired my kitchen).
I’ve done a electrical drawing of how I think the wiring could be done, I will be using Wago Light boxes and Wago Junction boxes. The lights are 9w each and although the fan isolating switch shows it in the bathroom area they are actually going to be installed in the airing cupboard nearby.

Because of the extracting fan units (Timed) I’m going to take the power for the bathroom and on suite straight from its own 6amp MCB on the RCD unit (protected after the 30mA breaker on the RCD)

Please feel free to comment on the drawing and if I’ve gone wrong somewhere or I need to incorporate additional protection / fuse please let me know.

There may be one additional shaving socket in the main bathroom depending on which mirror/cabinet I purchase.

Regards
DIYBlues

[ElectriciansForums.net] Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!!

Up to a point.....but when was the last time your testing and inspection of a job you carried out picked up a problem,never mind a potentially dangerous one.

That's like saying "when was the last time you needed your seatbelt?" I pray to God that I never will, but it's there, just like an RCD is when you cut through a cable trimming the hedge.... Unless of course it's a faulty RCD which wasn't picked up due to no testing.

Really? Go into the big orange shed and buy some glue, or a knife. Or send your neighbours kids into the pub to buy some carry-out and cigs. Or maybe you'd like to place an order with a pharmaceutical company for some hospital strength sedatives? I hear there's a two for one offer on Cemtex at the moment down at the Co-op.

This country is full of trading restrictions aimed at preventing harm to the general public. The minute that the government work out how to get the scam fees instead of the scammers, then it'll happen.

Thats a completely different comparison and you know it.
Obvoiusly theres restrictions on the sale of hazardous goods , but hows that relevent to only electricians being able to buy cable ?
I have to say you've given a fairly stupid example.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have to say you've given a fairly stupid example.

Of course I have! It's analogous with this country.

My 12yr old son has a chemistry set; it's designed to be 'safe', so that no matter how hard he tries, the contents can't be mixed in any combination to actually be properly dangerous. I will have a hard time trying to replace some of those chemicals with anything more potent, principally because I'm not an industrial chemist with access to the right suppliers.

Unfortunately, the same can't be said for a house I was in recently where some DIY'er had been able to walk into a 'shed', get a drum of 2.5 and then try to feed 50A's worth of fan heaters in an outside shed with it....after feeding it through the tinder dry grade II roof space and then wondering what the burning smell was.

qualified spark with --- years

There's a Squadron in the RAF goes by the name of --- Sqn, which = 29 Sqn. When it was formed, a young 'ERC' was told to paint 29 in roman numerals on a board outside the Sqn. He replied "I don't know Roman Numerals, how is that written?"

X X and 1X was the reply. So that is how 29 Sqn became --- Sqn.

I know it's got nothing to do with this thread, but I thought it was funny, and now you have all had a history lesson

Cheers

LS

That's like saying "when was the last time you needed your seatbelt?" I pray to God that I never will, but it's there, just like an RCD is when you cut through a cable trimming the hedge.... Unless of course it's a faulty RCD which wasn't picked up due to no testing.
Personally I neglect to wear a seatbelt from time to time, just like I occasionally answer the phone while driving or break the odd speed limit. I would not appreciate people who just happen to drive for a living giving me constant lectures on how dangerous it is and how naughty I am.

I really have no time for busybodies/do-gooders/jobsworths!

This is basically a pro/anti nanny state argument and guitarist and ezzzekiel you are both decidely pro, even if you only apply this thinking to your own industry

Personally I neglect to wear a seatbelt from time to time, just like I occasionally answer the phone while driving or break the odd speed limit. I would not appreciate people who just happen to drive for a living giving me constant lectures on how dangerous it is and how naughty I am.

I really have no time for busybodies/do-gooders/jobsworths!

This is basically a pro/anti nanny state argument and guitarist and ezzzekiel you are both decidely pro, even if you only apply this thinking to your own industry

Totally disagree with that statement. I am not pro-nanny state, I am just sick of trying to play by the rules when people who think they know better than everyone else don't bother. Who do you think picks up the pieces when some idiot wipes out a family because "he/she thinks they know better" or "can't be bothered sticking to the rules, because it doesn't suit them"? The families and emergency services, that's who.
You have no time for busybodies? Neither do I. Neither though, do I have time for people who think they are above the law!

Last edited:
Totally disagree with that statement. I am not pro-nanny state, I am just sick of trying to play by the rules when people who think they know better than everyone else don't bother. Who do you think picks up the pieces when some idiot wipes out a family because "he/she thinks they know better" or "can't be bothered sticking to the rules, because it doesn't suit them"? The families and emergency services, that's who.
You have no time for busybodies? Neither do I. Neither though, do I have time for people who think they are above the law!
When was the last time someone wiped out a family by doing perfectly compliant minor electrical work with RCD protection in their own house but just happened not to have notified it or IR/earth/RCD tested it?

An example would go a long way towards reinforcing your argument.

When was the last time someone wiped out a family by doing perfectly compliant minor electrical work with RCD protection in their own house but just happened not to have notified it or IR/earth/RCD tested it?

An example would go a long way towards reinforcing your argument.

My original point was that without testing an RCD you wouldn't know if it was there to save your life. You then went off on one and accused me of being "pro-nanny state".
Yes, I do try to play by the rules, because after spending over 20 years in industry I have seen lots of examples when things go wrong due to people doing what they like.
No, I am not "pro-nanny state", but I am definitely "pro-safety".

Hi,

To date, i'v never fused (or seen fused for that matter) fans in a bathroom. Only the 6A MCB. I will have a close look in the instructions for the fans we fit and see!

Thanks

I started to read this thread with interest but it seems to have taken a turn elsewhere like so many on here unfortunately.But anyway i have a inline airflow fan to fit ,2 speed and about £64.00 plus vat so in the world of bathroom fans it should be quite good.Units motor is 180 watts maximum.Manufacturers brochure makes no reference to current feed it just states voltage and frequency.
I have never seen a inline fuse to reduce to say 3 amps from the 6 amp radial feed.After reading this I think I should put one in and to make it easy just put it in the initial feed so it controls all the necessary lights as well.
Might phone the manufacturer tomorrow just to confirm what they recommend.

I started to read this thread with interest but it seems to have taken a turn elsewhere like so many on here unfortunately.But anyway i have a inline airflow fan to fit ,2 speed and about £64.00 plus vat so in the world of bathroom fans it should be quite good.Units motor is 180 watts maximum.Manufacturers brochure makes no reference to current feed it just states voltage and frequency.
I have never seen a inline fuse to reduce to say 3 amps from the 6 amp radial feed.After reading this I think I should put one in and to make it easy just put it in the initial feed so it controls all the necessary lights as well.
Might phone the manufacturer tomorrow just to confirm what they recommend.

Good point.

Reply to Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net