Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! | Page 6 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

DIYBlues

Hi Guys
I’m no electrician but I’m going to do some electrical work in my bathroom and understand the issues surrounding Part P and the building regulations. However I would rather be up front and say I’m still going to tackle it (although I’m not a complete novice at electrical work, replacing my Consumer Unit a few years ago and rewired my kitchen).
I’ve done a electrical drawing of how I think the wiring could be done, I will be using Wago Light boxes and Wago Junction boxes. The lights are 9w each and although the fan isolating switch shows it in the bathroom area they are actually going to be installed in the airing cupboard nearby.

Because of the extracting fan units (Timed) I’m going to take the power for the bathroom and on suite straight from its own 6amp MCB on the RCD unit (protected after the 30mA breaker on the RCD)

Please feel free to comment on the drawing and if I’ve gone wrong somewhere or I need to incorporate additional protection / fuse please let me know.

There may be one additional shaving socket in the main bathroom depending on which mirror/cabinet I purchase.

Regards
DIYBlues

[ElectriciansForums.net] Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!!

Hi,

When ever I wire bathrooms now, I wire EVERYTHING back to the fan isolator. So FEED IN / SL + N to the light / L + SL to pull switch / 3core to the fan.

This means no JB and only one cable at each accessory. I will draw a diagram later.

Rich

So where do you put your 3Amp fuse?

I think we have gone full circle! Lol

The problem of fusing both the permanent and switch lives only occurs when 3 pole isolators are used
It's been suggested to fuse the lighting supply into the bathroom,thats one ok solution

If the timer fan has its own independent switch,there is no need for a 3 pole isolator,a switched fused spur will perform both functions of 2 pole isolation and fusing by isolating the fan supply

I think we've done about 5 circles

Good grief, this one has been heavy work. It started out as quite interesting then somehow something called Part P crept in and then we were off.....again, lol.

Since the onus is on the householder to comply with the current building regulations then there is not much anybody can do.... until buyers refuse to pay the going price for properties that haven't got the necessary certificates backed up by Solicitor searches.

Regardless of anything said without test and certificstion the work is potentially dangerous wether his drawings are good or not, and i doubt the op ( who obviously is more knowledgeable than most) will not have access to or experience to use.

We test after an install for a reason not just to give us something to do

unrestricted trade is one of the most important underpinning principles of our economy.

Ridiculous concept.

Really? Go into the big orange shed and buy some glue, or a knife. Or send your neighbours kids into the pub to buy some carry-out and cigs. Or maybe you'd like to place an order with a pharmaceutical company for some hospital strength sedatives? I hear there's a two for one offer on Cemtex at the moment down at the Co-op.

This country is full of trading restrictions aimed at preventing harm to the general public. The minute that the government work out how to get the scam fees instead of the scammers, then it'll happen.

Hi,

When ever I wire bathrooms now, I wire EVERYTHING back to the fan isolator. So FEED IN / SL + N to the light / L + SL to pull switch / 3core to the fan.

This means no JB and only one cable at each accessory. I will draw a diagram later.

Rich

So did I .... BUT I took it to a 3amp fuse first.

Every bathroom fan I fitted came with an instruction sheet that said it must be fused at 3 amps.

Regardless of anything said without test and certificstion the work is potentially dangerous wether his drawings are good or not, and i doubt the op ( who obviously is more knowledgeable than most) will not have access to or experience to use.

We test after an install for a reason not just to give us something to do

Up to a point.....but when was the last time your testing and inspection of a job you carried out picked up a problem,never mind a potentially dangerous one.

Reply to Electrical Bathroom Wiring Drawing... Comments / Advise Please!!!! in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net