Currently reading:
Electrical Improver Interview

Discuss Electrical Improver Interview in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi.

Ive recently finished my C&G 2365 level 3 and have my first electrical interview tomorrow for an improver role.

I applied for a mate position explaining how I hadnt had much experience in the trade yet due to my previous work and personal circumstances so they are aware most of my experience has been evening college.

Ive since been made redundant at my work due to the company liquidating and Ive been out working with a local electrician getting experience for free while I look for a new job.

I was wondering what kind of questions I could expect tomorrow, I know that it could be such a broad array of questions but im hoping others may have some examples they have been asked, do you think there will be a technical element?

thanks in advance!

Hi, Im sure they are going to ask you what electrical experience you have, what you have done practically at college.
What have you been doing with this electrician as a volunteer.
Hopefully he has given you some hands on, just be honest and tell them dont try and bs, you will get caught out good luck.

Hi, Im sure they are going to ask you what electrical experience you have, what you have done practically at college.
What have you been doing with this electrician as a volunteer.
Hopefully he has given you some hands on, just be honest and tell them dont try and bs, you will get caught out good luck.
Thanks!

I absoloutly wont BS, I plan to be open and honest about my experience so far.
Thankfully the electrician ive been going out with has given me experience in a variety of lighting and socket work (SWA outdoor, extending ring main, adding spurs, outdoor lighting in conduit, copex and wiska boxes etc) along with some very basic testing for minor works certs.

Appreciate you taking the time to comment!

Hi.

Ive recently finished my C&G 2365 level 3 and have my first electrical interview tomorrow for an improver role.

I applied for a mate position explaining how I hadnt had much experience in the trade yet due to my previous work and personal circumstances so they are aware most of my experience has been evening college.

Ive since been made redundant at my work due to the company liquidating and Ive been out working with a local electrician getting experience for free while I look for a new job.

I was wondering what kind of questions I could expect tomorrow, I know that it could be such a broad array of questions but im hoping others may have some examples they have been asked, do you think there will be a technical element?

thanks in advance!
Beware of employers who will take advantage of your inexperience to pay you less and then throw you in at the deep end, sending you out on jobs you aren't really ready for. This happened to me, many moons ago when I was in your position and although I can now look back on it as a baptism of fire and actually it did accelerate my learning, at the time I was very unhappy about it..the flippin bloke still owes me expenses for diesel I put in his van !!!

Beware of employers who will take advantage of your inexperience to pay you less and then throw you in at the deep end, sending you out on jobs you aren't really ready for. This happened to me, many moons ago when I was in your position and although I can now look back on it as a baptism of fire and actually it did accelerate my learning, at the time I was very unhappy about it..the flippin bloke still owes me expenses for diesel I put in his van !!!
Thanks for this, well the interviewer was 25 minutes late, didnt really care about asking for my experience or any work id actually done. Asked a few questions about earthing arrangements, zones, BSEN numbers and then said would only pay me as an apprentice. Sadly wont cover the bills. Oh and only a 2 week trial if they arent happy I wont be paid.

One of the lads on my Level 2 course has just been offered a role with a firm in Huddersfield as a mate I think. £15 an hour basic Monday to Friday, £24 for weekends and something in-between for overtime. Definitely some more reputable employers out there, I'd keep looking.

One of the lads on my Level 2 course has just been offered a role with a firm in Huddersfield as a mate I think. £15 an hour basic Monday to Friday, £24 for weekends and something in-between for overtime. Definitely some more reputable employers out there, I'd keep looking.
Thanks for this reply, this has helped!! I felt quite deflated and let down by this experience (1 bad thing wont end my hopes of being a full time sparky).

Ive been helping a local sparky for free recently to gain experience and he has been asking around his group to try and get me some paid work as he cant afford to at the moment (which is a shame as hes a brilliant guy and excellent sparky!)

This thread hasn't been replied to for 14 days, so replying to this one may not get a response. Post a new thread instead.

Reply to Electrical Improver Interview in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock