Electrical shock- should this have happened? | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Electrical shock- should this have happened? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jme369

I'd like to start of by saying that I know nothing about electrical engineering and have therefore come here for some expert advice! I operate a foster home and therefore safety is of the upmost concern to me.

I received a nasty electric shock that sent me to the hospital as a result of touching a faulty spit appliance- the entire metal casing must have been live. It is an american appliance that had been plugged into a fused adaptor. Obviously this means that it was not earthed. Should the circuit breaker have stopped me from receiving a shock here, or was the appliances lack of earthing to blame? I am suspicious of it as in the 4 years of living at my current house it has not tripped out once, whereas at all other places I have lived, tripping has been commonplace. I've included a picture of the fuse box etc, but please ask if there is any more information I can give. Excuse my ignorance and thank you for your help. [ElectriciansForums.net] Electrical shock- should this have happened?

If you ever get a shock from an appliance then there's more than one fault occurring simultaneously. Firstly there's the fault causing the chassis to come into contact with the live supply (low insulation), this could be an internal fault or the appliance may have been wired incorrectly. Secondly there's insufficient connection between the chassis of the appliance and the earth (poor earthing). This then allows a high 'touch voltage' to develop and also means the circuit breaker (MCB) protecting the circuit won't trip. These first two problems mean the appliance doesn't get disconnected before you get a shock. Finally if there's RCD or RCBO protection on the circuit it may trip before you get a shock but it definitely should trip whilst you get a shock that's at a dangerous level. I'm not sure if the RCD or the two RCBO's in your CU were supplying the circuit in question but if they were then they also failed to do their job.

Bottom line is you need to get an experienced electrician in to test the installation and the appliance. He then needs to remedy the problems he finds. I'd strongly suggest you do this as a matter of urgency.

Thanks for all the replies so far! Thankfully there was no injuries caused, but my worry is that if this was to happen to a kid, the consequences could have been alot worse. The house is rented and when this all happened, my son phoned the landlord who got someone round (the landlord claims it was an electrician but im not so sure) who blamed the lack of earthing on the appliance. Obviously I've learnt my lesson in making sure appliances are earthed, but I'd like to make sure that is the only problem.
Finally if there's RCD or RCBO protection on the circuit it may trip before you get a shock but it definitely should trip whilst you get a shock that's at a dangerous level. I'm not sure if the RCD or the two RCBO's in your CU were supplying the circuit in question but if they were then they also failed to do their job.
This is the part that worries me, as even during the shock it didn't trip. Is there any way I can check if theres an RCD or RCBOs? Also what does CU stand for? Excuse my ignorance sorry.
Post you location and there maybe a member near you.

If you are in my patch I would come and do an initial look FOC
I live in Stafford.

CU is consumer unit, ( the box with the breakers in). as in your photo. it's not too clear, but it appears you have a RCD ( on the right). is trhere a test button on that switch. if it's an RCD it should have 30mA or 0.03A marked on it. thre " electrician " who came round should have tested the circuit in question and a couple of other tests to ensure that the earthing was in order. for your own peace of mind, i'd have an independent check done. landlords have a nasty habit of doing whatever costs the least and bugger safety. Stafford is a bit far for me, but if your stuck, i'd come at a low a cost as i could. but there's surely a few members close to you. just hang about this evening and you should get a response from someone close. or, use the forum search button for "electrician, stafford.

I noticed this in you opening post .... So i'm wondering if you should have a look at this sticky thread, especially if your actually using these bloody things??

http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk...flawed-child-plug-socket-covers-campaign.html

Only 23 pages to read through!! lol!

The place I found the VIR cable in was a nursery and I noticed these things plugged in so I informed the owner of the dangers and told her to look on the internet for "fatally flawed". She imediately took them out.

To the OP, it looks like you have an RCD and a couple of rcbo's on the board but thats not to say your sockets are connected to these!!! You need to get an electrician in to give the installation and maybe the appliance a test.

How are you sure it is an American appliance? As these operate at a different voltage and Hz to equipment in UK/Europe?!! Most of the US laundry units I have came across are 2 phase 208 volts 60Hz.

Good point. It's probably a 2 pin European type plug with an adaptor. Daz

The dist board looks like the old split 16th edition with a main switch covering probably the first possibly 7-8 mcb/rcbo's and the right hand rcd just looks after the last 2-3 mcb's.

Given the regualtions of the days rcd coverage was only needed for sockets that would possibly have outdoor use, so maybe only had downstairs and kitchen sockets covered.

We lack info ..also is the OP renting this residence or it he the owner.... as landlord could be sued as his electrics alowed for this to happen now this is a grey area so could be a rough legal battle until new regulations come in to what level the install must achieve in safety i.e to the 17th not 16th.

Reply to Electrical shock- should this have happened? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net