Electrical shock- should this have happened? | Page 2 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Electrical shock- should this have happened? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jme369

I'd like to start of by saying that I know nothing about electrical engineering and have therefore come here for some expert advice! I operate a foster home and therefore safety is of the upmost concern to me.

I received a nasty electric shock that sent me to the hospital as a result of touching a faulty spit appliance- the entire metal casing must have been live. It is an american appliance that had been plugged into a fused adaptor. Obviously this means that it was not earthed. Should the circuit breaker have stopped me from receiving a shock here, or was the appliances lack of earthing to blame? I am suspicious of it as in the 4 years of living at my current house it has not tripped out once, whereas at all other places I have lived, tripping has been commonplace. I've included a picture of the fuse box etc, but please ask if there is any more information I can give. Excuse my ignorance and thank you for your help. [ElectriciansForums.net] Electrical shock- should this have happened?

....landlord who got someone round (the landlord claims it was an electrician but im not so sure) who blamed the lack of earthing on the appliance. Obviously I've learnt my lesson in making sure appliances are earthed, but I'd like to make sure that is the only problem.

Like I said there has to be more than one fault if you got a shock from the appliance so just addressing the lack of earthing doesn't mean things are safe. The fault that made the chassis live in the first place still needs to be found.

There is a test button on the RCD and the RCBO's but you need an electrician to establish what they are supplying otherwise you don't know if all your socket circuits are protected.

Finally I'd certainly pay a small premium to get Telectrix on site rather than take my chances with an unknown local electrician.

You have got a box of frogs here mate. And just to put more fuel on the fire, if nothing tripped under fault conditions, then my guess is that you need someone to take the CU lid off and have a nosey inside, i bet something has been wired out like the RCD.

You have had some good advice, and Tel is as knowledgable as they come, and an expert in the subject, don't leave it to chance.

Cheers................Howard

The landlord has booked an electrician for Monday, for my 'peace of mind', so will see what he says. I'm a bit suspicious of whoever the landlord may choose though, so unless he uncovers a fault I'll get someone in myself. Will see what he has to say though and will definitely relay your comments to him. Unfortunately I don't have the appliance, my Dad took it, will try and get a picture tomorrow though. I'm not too bothered about it though- it's going in the bin.

Reply to Electrical shock- should this have happened? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net