Electrical shower | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss Electrical shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cj24

Hi Iv been to someone's house who said there shower pull cord sw was smelling of fish so I opened up the pull cord to find the Neutral on the supply side was melting and the copper was all black and the switch was melting as you could see the plastic slightly disformed so the smell was surely the burning of the plastic, I remade connection off and reused the same switch as a temp measure, the guy ordered new sw and was getting back to me but not heard anything then 3 weeks later I get a call saying smells back so Iv been round and changed for new switch but the supply Neutral had started to melt again, any ideas? And do you think it will happen again? It is 8.5kw shower and 10mm cable and it's a short distance from the board do you just think it was a loose connection? As I can't see what else it could be

It has a means of switching off, that is all that is required. Shower isolators are nothing more than glorified fire starters.

Oh could add 537.3 also?
Yes, this states that it does not necessarily need to interrupt the N conductor, however, I'm sure you can find the regulations that make the interrupting of the N conductor a requirement.
So it is not quite so clear cut as to state that a local isolator is not required, at the end of the day a N conductor is still a Live conductor, and, in the event of a fault elsewhere, could pose a lethal hazard to a person undertaking mechanical maintenance on an electrical shower, if, it were not isolated.
The designer of the installation/modification would need to do a robust risk assessment to ensure that this scenario was safe, and be able to prove this in the event of someone being killed, due to them deciding not to fit a double pole shower isolator, especially when it is accepted industry practice to fit one.

Why's that?

Why have I not fitted 3A fuses for fans fed from normal domestic lighting circuits? Simply because it is a load of nonsense, if fuse protection is required for a puddly little fan then it is going to need to be less than 1A to get near to being the right size.

Why do I install isolators for fixed equipment? So that the equipment can be switched off and/or isolated with relative ease as and when necessary.
Because I was taught to do this by my mentor and see no reason to not do so.

If the DB is in close proximity to the equipment and is only going to need to be isolated by skilled persons then I'm happy with the OCPD or main switch as the isolator.

I know that strictly according to bs7671 this is not required in all situations. But as far as I am concerned bs7671 is at best a minimum standard to work from, never the be all and end all!

Ok let's put this one to bed.

I write this from the point of view of someone who attends somewhere in the region of 5-10 call outs per year to rectify melted shower isolators. I understand the whole 'best practice' and 'industry accepted' arguments, I really do, but from my personal point of view, and from my experience, I have yet to have a problem with a shower that has been directly fed!

The problem is, it is widely accepted, and often required, to fit a readily accessible means of switching off for items of fixed equipment, often found in the form of SFCUs for domestic fitted kitchen appliances, and rotary isolators combined with control equipment for non domestic equipment. SFCUs tend to work well in a kitchen, the connections will never be subject to the amount of heat that the current from an electric shower draws, nor will a domestic cooker for example. The same could be said for devices for switching and isolation in a commercial or industrial environment, and this is because the terminals will be fit for purpose in the sense that you're not provided with just two measly screws to clamp down on to a 10mm conductor. You'll have lugs and bolts. The shower is the only piece of domestic equipment that I can think of that pulls such a significant amount of current, and yet it would seem no one makes a decent means of terminating those cables. Crabtree are close, but it's still just two small screws.

The fact remains, you can spout off regs numbers and ideas about 'best practice' all you like. You may even be right, but when it comes down to personal experience, that being; having nothing but problem after problem after problem with the same piece of equipment, time and time again, is it not right to at least question the validity of the argument that 'fitting a shower isolator is always best'?

Just curious how you would currently comply with 134.1.1 (OK, admittedly, some MI's are better than others!), then, 132.10, 132.15.1 & 132.15.2 if the shower has an inbuilt motor, which obviously depends on the type.

Oh, one last thing, don't yet bank on the proposed changes being set in stone, I was in discussions last week with a few people (IET) and, the amendments were not as yet finalised.

Ok, 134.1.1 not all MIs ask for the isolator (if working to a set that did, that's another argument, see previously attached MIs), 132.10 MCB, 132.15.1 Again, MCB and integral on/off switch,132.15.2 not that any electric shower I've seen has a motor, but if one did, readily accessible switching off is all that is required, not isolation.

It is rare I disagree with you Damien, but this time fella I think you are off your trolley.

Haha, mate, when have you known me not to be off my trolley :D

Oh could add 537.3 also?
Yes, this states that it does not necessarily need to interrupt the N conductor, however, I'm sure you can find the regulations that make the interrupting of the N conductor a requirement.
So it is not quite so clear cut as to state that a local isolator is not required, at the end of the day a N conductor is still a Live conductor, and, in the event of a fault elsewhere, could pose a lethal hazard to a person undertaking mechanical maintenance on an electrical shower, if, it were not isolated.
The designer of the installation/modification would need to do a robust risk assessment to ensure that this scenario was safe, and be able to prove this in the event of someone being killed, due to them deciding not to fit a double pole shower isolator, especially when it is accepted industry practice to fit one.

Again, MCB. Are you gonna fit DP isolation to every part of a circuit in case it ever needs mechanical maintenance? Does every office need DP isolation for each light fitting for whenever the fluorescent ballasts need changing?

Why have I not fitted 3A fuses for fans fed from normal domestic lighting circuits? Simply because it is a load of nonsense, if fuse protection is required for a puddly little fan then it is going to need to be less than 1A to get near to being the right size.

Why do I install isolators for fixed equipment? So that the equipment can be switched off and/or isolated with relative ease as and when necessary.
Because I was taught to do this by my mentor and see no reason to not do so.

If the DB is in close proximity to the equipment and is only going to need to be isolated by skilled persons then I'm happy with the OCPD or main switch as the isolator.

I know that strictly according to bs7671 this is not required in all situations. But as far as I am concerned bs7671 is at best a minimum standard to work from, never the be all and end all!

Totally agree mate, was just asking out of interest :)

The only struggle I have, as stated, is the justification for fitting shower isolators.

Ok let's put this one to bed.

Again, MCB. Are you gonna fit DP isolation to every part of a circuit in case it ever needs mechanical maintenance? Does every office need DP isolation for each light fitting for whenever the fluorescent ballasts need changing?

Replacing ballasts is NOT mechanical maintenance.
You MUST allow for the "electrically unskilled" maintenance required on electrical items when they have "non-electrical" components.
Now YOU as the competent person doing this work MUST allow for this, and be able to justify your decision when someone is dead.
Can you do this and sleep at night if it was you who did not fit the double pole isolator?
Remembering that it is YOU that will be in the dock and you that will be doing time for manslaughter?

You MUST allow for the "electrically unskilled" maintenance required on electrical items when they have "non-electrical" components.
Now YOU as the competent person doing this work MUST allow for this, and be able to justify your decision when someone is dead.
Can you do this and sleep at night if it was you who did not fit the double pole isolator?
Remembering that it is YOU that will be in the dock and you that will be doing time for manslaughter?

Haha, I've never heard such tripe.

So you're basically telling me that I should be allowing for unskilled people to be opening up electric showers???

Even if this were the case, can an unskilled person not flick off an MCB or a main switch now?!

There's certainly an argument to be had over what could be seen to be best practice, but telling me I'd end up in court for manslaughter should someone die as a result of me not fitting an isolator is utter nonsense. If some idiot wants to open a shower before isolating it, that's on them, not me!

I suppose you could say that a house burning down due to faulty electrical connection may fall into the same category.

Haha, I've never heard such tripe.

So you're basically telling me that I should be allowing for unskilled people to be opening up electric showers???

Even if this were the case, can an unskilled person not flick off an MCB or a main switch now?!

There's certainly an argument to be had over what could be seen to be best practice, but telling me I'd end up in court for manslaughter should someone die as a result of me not fitting an isolator is utter nonsense. If some idiot wants to open a shower before isolating it, that's on them, not me!

Damien,
Don't start resorting to abuse it is not polite.

There is a requirement for foreseeable mechanical maintenance of the unit, thus as the competent person undertaking the design, the responsibility rests upon yourself to ensure that the unit is safe to maintain.
See EAWR, CDM, PUWER etc.
You can call me all you like, you can hurl abuse all you like, you always do when backed into a corner, or you just clam up because you have no correct answers.

There are other considerations that it seems you are not willing to consider.
"flicking off" an MCB, could well not be an acceptable solution, I have challenged you to say why and you it seems cannot be bothered, you would rather start throwing abuse around.
Also, "flicking off" a main switch is often not an option.
Remember not all showers are in domestic premises.

Please you need to think a little more about the ramifications of your decisions and suggestions before posting.

Oh, and yes, you could end up in court.

Your attitude amazes me, in fact, I would go as far as to say it disgusts me most of the time, because you seem to ignore so many design considerations and you are so blasé about it, and when challenged you just seem to get abusive, or simply ignore the issues.

The only struggle I have, as stated, is the justification for fitting shower isolators.

The thing that has always bugged me is why people always fit pull cord isolators?

If you fit a fan the isolator goes next to the door outside the room.
If you fit a tango heater the isolator goes next to the door outside the room.
If you fit underfloor heating the isolator goes next to the door outside the room
Etc
Etc
If you fit an electric shower the isolator goes where?

If you hadn't guessed it I prefer to fit a tall cooker switch outside the door for them, it is at least a lot easier to fit without stressing the terminations.

I would also argue that the apparent obsession with using 10mm for showers which only require 6mm doesn't help the situation either.

The thing that has always bugged me is why people always fit pull cord isolators?

If you fit a fan the isolator goes next to the door outside the room.
If you fit a tango heater the isolator goes next to the door outside the room.
If you fit underfloor heating the isolator goes next to the door outside the room
Etc
Etc
If you fit an electric shower the isolator goes where?

If you hadn't guessed it I prefer to fit a tall cooker switch outside the door for them, it is at least a lot easier to fit without stressing the terminations.

I would also argue that the apparent obsession with using 10mm for showers which only require 6mm doesn't help the situation either.
and if someone fitted a cooker switch for a shower in my house it wouldnt be staying.

it would be changed to a shower iisolator

how do you know aa shower only needs 6mm it could need 10mm because of the route.

the only problem we have ever had with crabtree shower isolators is the switch not clicking into place

and if someone fitted a cooker switch for a shower in my house it wouldnt be staying.

it would be changed to a shower iisolator

how do you know aa shower only needs 6mm it could need 10mm because of the route.

the only problem we have ever had with crabtree shower isolators is the switch not clicking into place

But they wouldn't have fitted a cooker switch to the shower would they, it would be a shower switch because it is connected to a shower!
A cooker switch is only a cooker switch when it is connected to a cooker!

I use the same tall 45A DP switches to switch supplies to small dimmers in drama studios, should I remove them and fit dimmer switches in their place????

Damien,
Don't start resorting to abuse it is not polite.

Whoa there, I haven't abused you fella, and I'm sorry if you feel that way.

There is a requirement for foreseeable mechanical maintenance of the unit, thus as the competent person undertaking the design, the responsibility rests upon yourself to ensure that the unit is safe to maintain.
See EAWR, CDM, PUWER etc.

I agree.

You can call me all you like, you can hurl abuse all you like, you always do when backed into a corner, or you just clam up because you have no correct answers.

I have never hurled abuse at you, ever, so I'm not quite sure what you mean by this. Nor have I ever really had any meaningful discussion with you before? Nor do I consider myself to be backed in to a corner?!

There are other considerations that it seems you are not willing to consider.
"flicking off" an MCB, could well not be an acceptable solution,

Why not? Is it just showers they're no good for isolating then?! Seems we can work on any other electrical circuit isolated at the MCB but just not with showers?!

I have challenged you to say why and you it seems cannot be bothered

When?

you would rather start throwing abuse around.

Again, there has been no abuse hurling.

Also, "flicking off" a main switch is often not an option.

It may well be inconvenient, but it's always an option.

Remember not all showers are in domestic premises.

I'm well aware of this

Please you need to think a little more about the ramifications of your decisions and suggestions before posting.

I'm well aware of the impact of my decisions, I just don't happen to have 'manslaughter' on the mind?! Seems like this is all you harp on about sometimes. Paul mate, we are talking about a shower isolator, not a piece of industrial machinery where it may not be as simple as turning off and locking off an MCB.

Oh, and yes, you could end up in court.

I'll await the day then, and if that day ever comes, I'll sit there safe in the knowledge that my work conforms to BS 7671. This is of course discounting the fact that if I do ever end up in court, I'd imagine I'd have many other things to worry about other than the fact I hadn't fitted a shower isolator!

Your attitude amazes me, in fact, I would go as far as to say it disgusts me most of the time, because you seem to ignore so many design considerations

Strong words there Paul, give me examples please, I want MANY examples of where I have simply 'ignored' design considerations.

and you are so blasé about it, and when challenged you just seem to get abusive, or simply ignore the issues.

Funilly enough, not many people do challenge me. Only you and your mates **on other forums** it would seem. When presented with a point of view or opinion that contradicts mine I'm not too proud to eat humble pie if it turns out that there is a better way, or in fact if it turns out that I'm just plain wrong, I'm sure many on here will testify to that. When I'm presented with nothing but scaremongering and a complete lack of common sense however, it takes a lot more to sway my mind!

Tell me, in an ideal world, where everyone worked to your requirements Paul, should I just ignore the countless number of melted shower isolators I've seen and carry on regardless? Just strap those blinkers on and shut what I've seen out of my mind? Would I be locked up for just 'daring' to question the status quo?

Last edited by a moderator:
And my two pennies worth.

Fixed shower on dual RCD board, RCD tripping, if there isn't a DP isolator, how could the home owner rule out the shower as the cause of the tripping?

Good point indeed. I guess it comes down to weighing up yer options right?

Risk a potential call out fee somewhere down the line, or risk a bit of melty goodness???

:D

Reply to Electrical shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net