Electrical sign off | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electrical sign off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

steamosteamo

Right I have done a stupid thing and am looking for an answer! I can imagine the sarcastic remarks I will get to this post!!

I bought a old house which needed new electrics. I "had" a friend who has been training as a electrician and he said he would do the work and get someone from his works to sign off the electrics. I have not moved into the house yet and the electrical work has been done by the vital sign off has not yet been done. He has fobbed me off for months now (approx 3 months) but keeps saying he will get it signed off and the electrics are fine. I need to get the electrics signed off and do believe he has done them correctly but as I have children would not dream of moving in and switching the electrics on without the sign off. Where do I stand? Could anybody (who is qualified) come in and sign off electrics? The floorboards are still up but some of the plug socket wires which run down the wall are covered by plaster and the kitchen is a extension and the electric runs are covered by the newly plastered ceiling. To be signed off does the electrician need to see all the wires? With hindsight I know this was stupid and don't think I saved any money doing this way as lost a lot of time!! I know that electricians get worked up about this and rightly so! I could lie and say he moved abroad but think if I come out with the truth you guys may give me some option as its not the usual rubbish excuse that some people come out with!! Thanks in advance any replies would be appreciated??

As the installation has been completed your only option is to get a periodic inspection report for the works,all this will cover is the inspection & testing of the wiring in your property,any faults to the wiring might well be uncovered when test readings are obtained,the only person who can sign an electrical installation certificate is the person who carried out the works,no qualified electrician will sign off others work and rightly so,its not the first and certainly wont be the last time 1 person starts a rewire,doesnt come back and another electrician does a test on the wiring and issues a report.If anything is not right it will be put done on the report and then you can get it remedied and you and family can sleep soundly at night.

Phone the Authorities with the name address and telephone number of the scrote who has taken your money and make sure he gets prosecuted. Then get all the National Newspapers involved in spreading the story and hopefully this will help people realise that it makes sense to get the job done by a fully certified person:thumbsup

Clearly no real fiend in my opinion:(

It's going to be difficult for you to find a sparky willing to sign off an EIC (electrical installation certificate). The person signing off needs to know the design, see the install as its being installed and then he/she tests it.

I can think of 3 options for you, first is to ask your local building authority if a PIR (periodic inspection report) would be acceptable. Second pay the LBC to test and sign off(expensive). Third tell the spark that did the work that you are going to the lbc to inform them about his workmanship and that he is refusing to cert his own work.

Rob beat me to it :). Good advice, post up your area and get a PIR done.

Last edited:
doubtful they would accept pir, no harm in asking though. if not, they can take responsibility for all the testing and certification but this will cost you a few hundred quid and could involve you having to re expose the cables so they can check installation thoroughly, hope this helps

Also, how would the LBC know that the electrics are new? If I stayed in the house for twenty years and then sold it? Obviously, I will get something done as would spend all my days worrying that my family were not safe in the house unless they are tested but just confused about how LBC would know unless I tell them?

Would the LBC Department take a PIR for the work instead of a full sign off? If the LBC department would not take this what happens then?

PRISON(joke),you did post that you were expecting some sarcastic comments,sorry didnt want to dissapoint you.LABC will understand your situation,and advise accordingly,i would think that they would be happy enough with a PIR,as some form of testing on the wiring is better than nothing.

Thanks for all your responses so far... I just wish I would of done it properly now and feel a bit of a idiot to be honest! When you say a few hundred quid to get the LBC department to check them? We talking £500-£1000 or less?

Do you need a EIC for the electrics to be legal?

Have done a couple of PIRs for people in exactly the same situation in this area.

My local LABC will/have accepted them.

If you find an electrician willing to do an electrical installation certificate (EIC) then dont use him as no decent spark will do it and you would not be able to rely on his testing.

Expect to pay between £20 and £30 per circuit in my area. (I charge £25/circuit and would expect to take most of a day to do a full inspection on an average 3 bed house)

I am based in Bridgend, South Wales and will contact the LABC and go from there.... Thanks for all your replies and amazed I only got one sarcastic comment - Maybe it was the honesty that did it. I hope they take the PIR but failing that will have to get them to inspect it and pay up. Just gutted as sort of feel like I am paying for it twice - but a lesson has been learnt!!

Reply to Electrical sign off in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net