Electricians with Rope access | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Electricians with Rope access in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I am trying to find some info on electricians with rope access (IRATA). I am thinking of doing the IRATA course as I want to work outside of Europe. There seems to be little info available about this. Is there any electricians here working through rope access.

Some of the guys where I used to work went to a place in the lake district to be trained on the use of rope and emergency procedures for getting a man off a tower safely, the training rig was 30m, the military have an aerial riggers setup which is 100m tower for training.

The guys needed it so they could maintain mast mounted CCTV cameras.

You have to buy your own equipment (or company for you) which was quite expensive (emrgency rope pack, lanyard, harness etc.)

I see plenty of people in London cleaning windows in a bosuns chair, so it might come in handy if work gets slack (excuse the slack comment :))

I assume you have looked at Industrial Rope Access Trade Association plenty of info there

I have in the past had rope access (not IRATA), rope rescue and mast certs for electrical and comms work I let these lapse a year ago as I moved out of the comms industry

Have a look at this link TAG for Work at Height Training Courses & Fall Protection Installations / Systems that is where I did my training and recertification

The company mentioned in previous post I believe is either The National Access and Rescue Centre - Leading UK training facilities for work at height, difficult access and rescue or HOME*-*lyon

There are also plenty of other companies out there

ISTR with the IRATA qual you neec to spend a number of hours on the ropes every year to maintain your qualification level and the base level qual only allows supervised work under a higher qualified rope technician

HTH:)

Last edited:
Hi, I am trying to find some info on electricians with rope access (IRATA). I am thinking of doing the IRATA course as I want to work outside of Europe. There seems to be little info available about this. Is there any electricians here working through rope access.

I done the rope access course in 2006. I Picked up a lot of work offshore with this ticket. My local center was Billingham 5 day course £550.I suggest find your nearest center and book it if you can afford it.Should open a lot more doors for you.Good Luck!

Hi gengusthethird,

Electricians with Rope Access certification are some of the highest paid in the industry and are in demand. The IRATA L1 qualification takes about a week to attain and is a global qualification. Technicians regularly use the qualification to travel the globe, the better qualified ones (with electrical experience and qualifications for example) do very well financially.

There are three levels (1,2,and 3). Hours and experience levels must be accumulated between the levels, most technicians stay at level 1 or 2, with a smaller percentage going on to get the (highest) L3 supervisory qualification.

Work is interesting and varied on most jobs and the teamwork involved leads to some great camaraderie. I could go on for pages but would recommend you visit the worlds busiest Rope Access website for more details: rope access jobs, rope access companies, rope access training equipment suppliers. Also covering rigging, inspection and ndt

I'm not too sure which country you are residing in but you will find from our mapping system on the website there should be a training centre near you somewhere who can offer further advice on pricing and availability. It's a rewarding, interesting career option - good luck!

Re: Electricians with Rope access + compex

Thank you all for your quick replies. I am living in England, thinking or doing IRATA training in Shefield which is close and has a good rep. I have read a lot of links and job sites. I would love to work in south east Asia. I am interested in hearing from other Electricians who have gone down this path. I didi my compEx last week as I think the 2 go good togeather. Anybody working with rope access and compex? is ther a big demand at the moment?

Thank you all for your quick replies. I am living in England, thinking or doing IRATA training in Shefield which is close and has a good rep. I have read a lot of links and job sites. I would love to work in south east Asia. I am interested in hearing from other Electricians who have gone down this path. I didi my compEx last week as I think the 2 go good togeather. Anybody working with rope access and compex? is ther a big demand at the moment?

Hi there

I am a rope access electrical supervisor (level 3 IRATA) and have been working in the oil and gas industry for around 6 years now. CompEX is generally regarded as essential to have in my line of work as we tend to mostly be involved in EX inspection and repairs. The bottom line is that you can work in the oil and gas industry as an electrician without compEX as long as you are carrying out non intrusive work ie fitting cable trays, mounting boxes, running cables, but when it comes to glanding and terminating and also opening up plant equipment to inspect you need to have your compEX ticket. .You need to spend a fair bit of money to get the tickets to gain access to offshore work, ie CompEX, IRATA, offshore survival and medical but Working offshore as a Level 1 IRATA Elec Technician you can expect to be earning £300+ per day with the right company, so it does not take long to pay for itself.

A friend of mine had been working in Asia for a number of years as he was staying in Thailand but is now back staying in the UK and he has advised me to never go down that path myself, the problems that he was finding was that the pay was very poor, the consistancy of work was very poor also and he found it it very hard work working in the stifling heat (Then again we are scottish!) as rope access at times can be very physically demanding.

I would recommend going down the offshore route as I myself did, last year i made more money than i've ever made and i didnt even work half of the year. If you desire to progress up to level 3 IRATA status then you are not only limited to electrical jobs, you can supervise any rope access work although admittadly i prefer to be on electrical jobs, better money too :)

Here are some good companies for offshore work, i'll start with the lowest payers first

Salamis group
RBG ltd
DSL
CLS offshore
AquaTerra Solutions
Dron + Dickson
SKN electrical

A full list of worlwide companies can be found at Industrial Rope Access Trade Association

also jobs are advertised on rope access jobs, rope access companies, rope access training equipment suppliers. Also covering rigging, inspection and ndt

Hope this helps you along

Alex

Thank you for your mail it was very useful, exactly what I wanted to hear. I have done the IRATA course now and booked on my survival course for this Monday. All being well I look forward to a new career on the ropes.

Reply to Electricians with Rope access in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net