External lighting around perimeter of Sports Complex | on ElectriciansForums
Guest viewing is limited

Discuss External lighting around perimeter of Sports Complex in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

cliffed

-
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Recently did an EICR on external lighting, installed in the early 70’s, never been tested before & never compliant.
The Swa’s are 2.5 x2 core entering in a recently new Cut Out.
The problem the Client as now is that @ least 4 lighting points have high Zs reading over 10 ohms.
Installing new Swa to these positions are gonna be problematic.
The easier option if possible would be to protect these 4 light points with a 30 ma Rcd, rather a Temporary fix @ this moment.
Or disconnection of these lights not gonna be popular there.
Any ideas my comrades

Recently did an EICR on external lighting, installed in the early 70’s, never been tested before & never compliant.
The problem the Client as now is that @ least 4 lighting points have high Zs reading over 10 ohms.
The easier option if possible would be to protect these 4 light points with a 30 ma Rcd, rather a Temporary fix @ this moment.
Any ideas my comrades
I’m with you on that, protect with an RCD. Gives Fault protection as well and additional protection and ensures it will disconnect up to 1667ohms.

I’d also write in your EICR that you recommend more frequent inspection interval on the floodlighting as the fault protection is relying on the operation of an RCD.
Bear in mind that some RCDs really don’t like cold enclosures.

Is your Zs reading due to continuity faults or length of circuit. If the former then an RCD does not solve the problem. How long is the circuit and does this equate to 10 ohms?

Any ideas my comrades
Do these lamps need re-glanding? Could just be some corrosion at the junctions.

Is your Zs reading due to continuity faults or length of circuit. If the former then an RCD does not solve the problem. How long is the circuit and does this equate to 10 ohms?
The Zs measurement is taken at EOL further up the line the readings are not great but comply.
The length of circuit is not known yet, but it’s long but it doesn’t equate to the 10 ohms.
I will be checking the integrity of connections @ the fittings with the high Zs.

Reply to External lighting around perimeter of Sports Complex in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net