exyending ring main | Page 3 | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss exyending ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

wobblymike

i am about to build a partition wall in my daughters house to split one big bedroom into 2 for my grandchildren. Iam going to install 2 double sockets on each side of the new wall. There is one double socket in the bedroom at present and my intent is to split the ring under this socket by cutting one of the cables and inserting the new cable run via 2 30a junction boxes. When i polled up the floorboard yesterday I was surprised to see only 1 set of connections to the socket via a single cable. I confirmed this by opening the face plate and confirming there was only 1 set of connections. This indicates that the socket is a spur which is very surprising as it is the only socket in the room. Obviously I cannot run the new cable run from a spur. Am i missing something here?,

Ain't got a problem with DIYers changing fittings and sockets ect, but when it comes to adding any length of cable in an installation we shouldn't be encouraging it despite the fact that "it ain't rocket science", clearly he has no test gear, so telling him to go ahead is like endorsing electrical work with no testing ?

I agree. You cant force him hire a spark even if we all know its the best option however i would personally feel better having given someone good advice than some DIYer going in blind or iladvised and being more of a danger

Ain't got a problem with DIYers changing fittings and sockets ect, but when it comes to adding any length of cable in an installation we shouldn't be encouraging it despite the fact that "it ain't rocket science", clearly he has no test gear, so telling him to go ahead is like endorsing electrical work with no testing ?

If you read post #37 I told him to go ahead if he is competant to do it to bs7671 ,as some of the earlier posts suggested it would be illegal under part P,which is not the case.....thats not telling him to go ahead and ignore 7671.

The OP has been given the option to pm me with his phone number via a pm to him if he wants this done. If not, that is on his head. Lets list the things that we would look for before we reach for a reel of cable....

What earthing arrangement is it, bonding, rcd's??? Ze test, Zs on existing circuit whilst energized using a checkabox. In the cu see if its one or two cables on the mcb, end to end tests, R1+R2, IR test, is the mcb the correct ratting for the cable, is the cable the correct size for the load and the extra load? Now he can look at extending it (once we now if its a rfc or a radial).

Then all we have to do is install the new sockets within zones and within the part p regs, do most of the above tests, issue a cert and sleep well at night knowing its a job well done.

After all, its only a few extra sockets, whats so difficult??????

For you and me and most, not all, but most sparks, nothing haha

MDJ is it only me that does a CSI crime scene lay out in my head for anything that I'm working on? You know like what the CSI programs do recreating the murder, I do that with electrics whilst the customer is on my shoulder asking what is wrong. Most of the time its diy'ers and they dont tell you until the last minuet and complain about the bill for the time its taken you to find it! Arh.

In this thread, the customer that wants to do it himself does not have the full knowledge to complete his task hence why he is asking on here and why he should leave this project alone. As we all know, its not that simple unless you know what your doing.

When did it become the responsibility of people posting on forums to protect the lives of the criminally thick/tight? If someone's to dense to take the advice they're given, or to accept that they're out of their depth then it's just nature's way of cleaning out the Gene pool.

With people being laid off all over the place I refuse to help out the DIYers or "multi traders". We electricians need to protect our income. I care about safety of myself and others too. If you're around the midlands myself or many I know could provide very good work at very reasonable rates. This forum is not a knowledge base for others. Fed up of this.

Unfortunately, that is not the case.
This forum is a knowledge base for others.
The simple fact that most of it is open and available to the public makes it so.
If it was closed, there would be fewer members and perhaps fewer advertisers.
I'm not entirely convibced about your statement that you care about safety.
The fact that you have posted on another thread advocating a licencing system would appear to indicate otherwise.

Witholding knowledge doesn't help anyone, nor does it protect jobs/livelihoods. If soemone asks a question on here or in the real world and I am able to answer I will. I have nothing to hide or fear. The problem comes when people get an answer which they don't like.

I could give the bloke next door detailed instructions on how to change his own CU. Anyone with reasonable hand skills and a basic knowledge of engineering/physics should cope without a problem. However, I would tell him that he can't without the test gear and knowledge to use it. He also can't because it needs to be notified and he isn't with a scheme. I also can't give him the knowledge and experience to find and sort any issues which may arise before, during or after. He may do it anyway and die or be injured. Stuff happens, move on.

If he asked about how something works, or what this that or the other does, or how to carry out a simple like for like swap I'd tell him. I wouldn't get all precious about him not having served a twenty year apprenticeship and cried tears of blood so that he could enter the hallowed profession of electrician.

##### Thread update #####

I've just spoken with the op (Mike) and I'm going to look at this tomorrow morning. By his very detailed description that he has told me, it is a 2.5mm radial on a spider circuit covered by a 16A mcb for only 3 existing sockets soon to be 7 after the alterations. I will change this into a rfc if it is possible to get new legs down to the cu without too much damage to the house. There is no rcd at the moment so an rcbo will be installed for this circuit.

Of course earthing, bonding will be checked and all tests, certs and notification will be done (if I install a new rfc).

Jobs a good-en, everyone is safe so no more bitchiness please. The op is an electrical technician and understands about circuitry but not about our rules, regs or methods and this is why he asked on here for help but understands its beyond his skills and now he has an electrician to do it for him. I'll keep you informed. Peace :)

Reply to exyending ring main in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net