Currently reading:
UK Failing Apprentice - What to do

Discuss Failing Apprentice - What to do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

It’s different to do, but it’s often said you should treat people how you would expect them to treat you. Or how you would expect them to treat your siblings, like you would treats theirs.

The trouble is we humans tend to treat others as just an object, as opposed to a person, but it is a two way thing.

The OP (and Oscar) are/is running a business not a charity, but if it was my relative, I would expect something more than what they’ve suggested.

As most of you know I'm not very enthusiastic about taking on young people, I think they are a lost cause nowadays and none of them are any where near ready to be thrown into the middle of a working site, both on the physical side and the "banter" side of things.

Yet despite all that a fellow worker has been badgering me about giving his son a job with us as he desperately wants to become an electrician, he has just left school and apparently has got his place at college and is starting this September. So yesterday I let him come with us as the site was empty, firstly he turned up in trainers because his dad had "taken his boots" but hey ho, these things happen. He actually did ok, ran a few cables in, could use a hammer, that sort of thing and he seemed to enjoy it. I didn't push him too hard, didn't talk down to him, treated him as a grown up, we finished at 3PM and I even offered to drop him at home later so his mum didn't have to come and get him. Told him to come in a gain today and it would be more of the same.

This morning he was a no show, no phone call, text or anything. :confused:

As most of you know I'm not very enthusiastic about taking on young people, I think they are a lost cause nowadays and none of them are any where near ready to be thrown into the middle of a working site, both on the physical side and the "banter" side of things.

Yet despite all that a fellow worker has been badgering me about giving his son a job with us as he desperately wants to become an electrician, he has just left school and apparently has got his place at college and is starting this September. So yesterday I let him come with us as the site was empty, firstly he turned up in trainers because his dad had "taken his boots" but hey ho, these things happen. He actually did ok, ran a few cables in, could use a hammer, that sort of thing and he seemed to enjoy it. I didn't push him too hard, didn't talk down to him, treated him as a grown up, we finished at 3PM and I even offered to drop him at home later so his mum didn't have to come and get him. Told him to come in a gain today and it would be more of the same.

And he's starting college in September throwing away an opportunity. I started as a Saturday boy school holidays etc when I was 15years old back in 1979. Some of us knew what we wanted to be.

I might be inclined to give him another chance depending on the reasons for his no show. If there was to be another chance it would be accompanied by a lecture on common courtesy and the basics of what is expected of anyone wanting to work with me.

I might be inclined to give him another chance depending on the reasons for his no show. If there was to be another chance it would be accompanied by a lecture on common courtesy and the basics of what is expected of anyone wanting to work with me.
Me too He's just a kid at 16 probably no idea as to what's expected.
I'm sure lots of the folks on here were great apprentices, I wasn't... needed a few second chances before I found my feet.
Having said that I worked for a big company that could afford to do so.
Without knowing any details maybe offer him a weeks trial if you are so inclined, pay him on Thursday and if he turns up on Friday you'll have a good idea on where he's at :D

Me too He's just a kid at 16 probably no idea as to what's expected.
I'm sure lots of the folks on here were great apprentices, I wasn't... needed a few second chances before I found my feet.
Having said that I worked for a big company that could afford to do so.
Without knowing any details maybe offer him a weeks trial if you are so inclined, pay him on Thursday and if he turns up on Friday you'll have a good idea on where he's at :D
For me it was personal, was told at school forget it your not clever enough. Made me even more determined to prove the system wrong. If you put the work in and determination you can be/ do want ever you like.

For me it was personal, was told at school forget it your not clever enough. Made me even more determined to prove the system wrong. If you put the work in and determination you can be/ do want ever you like.
Good on you, some kids take it the other way and believe it.
Some people are what they are because of what they are told and some in spite of it. :D
Either way it worked for you. :)

why bother employing anyone these days with the ridiculous laws and regs ? We owe them nothing . A publican can tell a customer to leave without having to give a reason. Why should an employer have to worry so much and know many times they are been "played" by staff that know they can mess around , be lazy and still get a payout ?

Reply to Failing Apprentice - What to do in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock