Fan problem | on ElectriciansForums

Discuss Fan problem in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Cj24

Hi, been asked to look at a job because this guy was gonna change a fan yet he's told me that he turned off the lighting breaker yet the fan isolator is still live even tho the fans not switching now but it usually does with the lights. Now to me unless I not thinking properly this is not right because fans are off lighting circuits not rings and if it's off a ring all u r goin to have is a perm feed and N at isolator but u need sw feed to for your L1 and L2 sorry if sounds confusing but this is how was sed

Nothing can be assumed, you need to test the supply to identify the correct isolation. It could be off the ring with the lights SL as its L1, or just off of the ring and the guy is confused.

You need to go and test it.

Hi, been asked to look at a job because this guy was gonna change a fan yet he's told me that he turned off the lighting breaker yet the fan isolator is still live even tho the fans not switching now but it usually does with the lights. Now to me unless I not thinking properly this is not right because fans are off lighting circuits not rings and if it's off a ring all u r goin to have is a perm feed and N at isolator but u need sw feed to for your L1 and L2 sorry if sounds confusing but this is how was sed

You are right, it sounds confusing, go and have a look at the job.

yep, looks as if they've taken the perm. live from another circuit. as said by Widdler and SirKit, you got to see for yourself. never trust what a customer tells you as regards what is, essentially, your field of expertise, not his.

Reply to Fan problem in the Talk Electrician area at ElectriciansForums.net